• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Contract in Amsterdam - Expenses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Contract in Amsterdam - Expenses

Dear All
    I have been offered a contract in Amsterdam and am in the process of negotiating. I have a good contract here which might be extended so am in a fair position to negotiate. I wanted your views on one issue.

Expenses. - Can I expect them to pay me to travel back and forth and stay in hotels every week. While I would really need them to do that to make this work, I am wondering why they would agree to do so. Would they agree to incure extra costs just because the contractor is travellinjg from overseas and not from, say, 200 miles away?

Any experience of other members would be very welcome.
    Tony

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
    Expenses. - Can I expect them to pay me to travel back and forth and stay in hotels every week. While I would really need them to do that to make this work, I am wondering why they would agree to do so. Would they agree to incure extra costs just because the contractor is travellinjg from overseas and not from, say, 200 miles away?
    You can expect them to pay for whatever you agree in the contract. No more, no less.

Either you include the expenses in the contract as a separate item that they get billed for, or you factor that into the rate.

Maybe I'm missing something here
    Best Forum Advisor 2014
    Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
    Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Amsterdam

Originally posted by AnthonyQuinn View Post
      Dear All
      I have been offered a contract in Amsterdam and am in the process of negotiating. I have a good contract here which might be extended so am in a fair position to negotiate. I wanted your views on one issue.

Any experience of other members would be very welcome.
      Tony
      Raining here in Amsterdam today

Expenses. - Can I expect them to pay me to travel back and forth and stay in hotels every week.

No - I know of only 1 person who gets this out of hundreds

You do realise you will have to work via a Dutch payroller + your UK agent.?
      Last edited by tarbera; 20 October 2011, 14:07.

Comment

other stuff

budget 100Eur a night hotel now, 130Eur in season
        Flights 300 EUR a week
        Food and Drink eating out 50Eur a day.

+ I'm on the 5.55am UK and that gets me to me desk in Amsterdam by 9.30am this means a 4.15am Monday morning get up and I only live 15mins from the Airport. so if you live +1hour away and you need to park a car it's a 3am get up

most people are on 80Eur to 140Eur hour range
        Last edited by tarbera; 20 October 2011, 14:07.

Comment

Isn't visit prostitutes and smoking weed claimable? I don't do at other gigs but if I got one over there I would be in every night. That means it is an expense incurred wholly and exclusively in the delivery of that contract and that one only. Not a general personal expense as I don't do it anywhere else?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by tarbera View Post
            Raining here in Amsterdam today

Expenses. - Can I expect them to pay me to travel back and forth and stay in hotels every week.

No - I know of only 1 person who gets this out of hundreds

You do realise you will have to work via a Dutch payroller + your UK agent.?
            WTS

Make sure the agent can put you in touch with a payroll company. Under no circumstances should you assume you can use your UK ltd.
            "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

budget 100Eur a night hotel now, 130Eur in season
              Flights 300 EUR a week
              Food and Drink eating out 50Eur a day.

+ I'm on the 5.55am UK and that gets me to me desk in Amsterdam by 9.30am this means a 4.15am Monday morning get up and I only live 15mins from the Airport. so if you live +1hour away and you need to park a car it's a 3am get up

most people are on 80Eur to 140Eur hour range
              The time seems a bit excessive - I worked for a year in AMS and caught the 6.45 from Brum and lived an hour away. At desk at 9.30 as well in Amstelveen, so near airport.. Online check- in meant at the gate at 6.15. Lived an hour away so had a 4.15 get up. Admittedly the long stay car park at Brum is only 5/10 mins walk, but even so....

Would agree about working arrangements...unless you are very clever and not risk averse, the only way is through agent and Dutch payroll. The Tax Office over there have really clamped down on one-man band 'arrangements'.

Budget airline flights are much cheaper than your examples if booked in advance. I was paying £90-£120 return for BMI baby from Brum or Easyjet from Luton. Cheaper in the Winter. I found a B&B for 50E per night and there are shared houses much cheaper. Food and drink are expensive though.

Comment

in summer

Originally posted by normalbloke View Post
                The time seems a bit excessive - I worked for a year in AMS and caught the 6.45 from Brum and lived an hour away. At desk at 9.30 as well in Amstelveen, so near airport.. Online check- in meant at the gate at 6.15. Lived an hour away so had a 4.15 get up. Admittedly the long stay car park at Brum is only 5/10 mins walk, but even so....

Would agree about working arrangements...unless you are very clever and not risk averse, the only way is through agent and Dutch payroll. The Tax Office over there have really clamped down on one-man band 'arrangements'.

Budget airline flights are much cheaper than your examples if booked in advance. I was paying £90-£120 return for BMI baby from Brum or Easyjet from Luton. Cheaper in the Winter. I found a B&B for 50E per night and there are shared houses much cheaper. Food and drink are expensive though.
                security at LHR/GAT/GLA can be well over an hour around 7am

Comment

security at LHR/GAT/GLA can be well over an hour around 7am
                  Fair point. BHX also has a fast track through security for a reasonable fee.

Comment

Working...
                  X