• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Berkley Earth Project - urgent rebuttal needed from resident climate science experts

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Berkley Earth Project - urgent rebuttal needed from resident climate science experts

Can we have a rebuttal please showing how these guys have got it all wrong? They've even got a graph with a wiggly line going up if you follow the link

BBC News - Global warming 'confirmed' by independent study

The Earth's surface really is getting warmer, a new analysis by a US scientific group set up in the wake of the "Climategate" affair has concluded.

The Berkeley Earth Project has used new methods and some new data, but finds the same warming trend seen by groups such as the UK Met Office and Nasa.

The project received funds from sources that back organisations lobbying against action on climate change.

"Climategate", in 2009, involved claims global warming had been exaggerated.

Emails of University of East Anglia (UEA) climate scientists were hacked, posted online and used by critics to allege manipulation of climate change data.

Fresh start

The Berkeley group says it has also found evidence that changing sea temperatures in the north Atlantic may be a major reason why the Earth's average temperature varies globally from year to year.

The group includes physicist Saul Perlmutter, a Nobel Prize winner this year
    The project was established by University of California physics professor Richard Muller, who was concerned by claims that established teams of climate researchers had not been entirely open with their data.

He gathered a team of 10 scientists, mostly physicists, including such luminaries as Saul Perlmutter, winner of this year's Nobel Physics Prize for research showing the Universe's expansion is accelerating.

Funding came from a number of sources, including charitable foundations maintained by the Koch brothers, the billionaire US industrialists, who have also donated large sums to organisations lobbying against acceptance of man-made global warming.

Continue reading the main story

Start Quote
    Our biggest surprise was that the new results agreed so closely with the warming values published previously”
    End Quote
    Richard Muller

Berkeley group founder

"We were concerned that the climate scientists were not putting all their data into the public domain, whether using Freedom of Information rules or anything else," he told BBC News.

"Science should be open, and data should be open, as a matter of principle."

The group's work also examined claims from "sceptical" bloggers that temperature data from weather stations did not show a true global warming trend.

The claim was that many stations have registered warming because they are located in or near cities, and those cities have been growing - the urban heat island effect.

The Berkeley group found about 40,000 weather stations around the world whose output has been recorded and stored in digital form.

It developed a new way of analysing the data to plot the global temperature trend over land since 1800.

What came out was a graph remarkably similar to those produced by the world's three most important and established groups, whose work had been decried as unreliable and shoddy in climate sceptic circles.

spoil sport
    Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

Originally posted by alreadypacked View Post
      spoil sport
      ??

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
        ??
        We have not had any thread domination for a while

It’s FRIDAY
        Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

We have not had any thread domination for a while

It’s FRIDAY
          OK. Train pulling in now.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Greg View Post
            OK. Train pulling in now.
            It's a bit early for you, I know
            Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

It's a bit early for you, I know
              Nearly there.

Comment

STOP
                Fiscal nomad it's legal.

Comment

This new paper doesn't really say a lot, an initial first step perhaps. Here is Professor Judith Curry's comments on this. Judith Curry has contributed to this project:

http://judithcurry.com/2011/10/20/be...ures-released/

Here are my summary comments on the papers. I think the most significant paper is the Berkeley Earth Temperature Averaging Process, where Rohde et al. have introduced a new method for analyzing the data that appears to me to be a substantial improvement over existing methods. That said, I suspect there is still considerable research still to be done in this area. The Urban Heat Island effect paper is a nice study, and based upon the reporters’ questions, seems to be the primary paper of interest. Is this paper the final word on the UHI issue? Probably not. I will be interested in the reactions to this paper, since UHI is a contentious issue. The decadal variability study is very provocative (this is the paper for which I had the greatest input), but IMO the study needs to be extended back further in time. The Surface Station quality paper shows nothing surprising, but I understand that Anthony Watts is raising a concern over the paper.

In summary, there are no particularly surprising results here. The papers are initial steps in analyzing the data set, and the verdict on these particular papers will be given by others who do subsequent analyses.
                  There's still a lot of debate to be had on the most contentious issue.

Be clear here there is no argument about whether there has been warming. The key question is, is this warming any different to what the earth has experienced in the past.

There has been warming since the little ice age in the 17th century, before there was any CO2 emissions.

A common tactic of AGW proponents in a debate is to prove AGW by pointing to evidence of warming. However what you need to ask yourself is, is this warming caused by man. The only evidence so far is Mann's "hockey stick". But I'm afraid that is just junk science.

http://judithcurry.com/2011/02/22/hiding-the-decline/
                  Last edited by BlasterBates; 21 October 2011, 07:50.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by BlasterBates View Post
                    This new paper doesn't really say a lot, an initial first step perhaps. Here is Professor Judith Curry's comments on this. Judith Curry has contributed to this project:

Berkeley Surface Temperatures: Released | Climate Etc.

There's still a lot of debate to be had on the most contentious issue.

Be clear here there is no argument about whether there has been warming. The key question is, is this warming any different to what the earth has experienced in the past.

There has been warming since the little ice age in the 17th century, before there was any CO2 emissions.

A common tactic of AGW proponents in a debate is to prove AGW by pointing to evidence of warming. However what you need to ask yourself is, is this warming caused by man. The only evidence so far is Mann's "hockey stick". But I'm afraid that is just junk science.

Hiding the Decline | Climate Etc.
                    Thanks for the prompt response. I'm glad there's no argument that there has been warming. Did I imagine that someone's been hacking your account promoting graphs showing a decline in global temperatures?

Comment

Working...
                    X