• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ooops: Britain opens its doors to 3.5 million visitors from eastern Europe

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ooops: Britain opens its doors to 3.5 million visitors from eastern Europe

"filling skills shortages in agriculture, food processing, catering, construction and social care",

Milan.

http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/thi...icle359972.ece

Yet at the same time there ar 1.5 million unemplored...
    Huge areas of South Wales live on beenefits because they won't get off their arses and get a job. Clearly the jobs are there, nasty and low-paid admittedly, but they're there.

F in "On yer bike" mode
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

"Only about 10 per cent of the new arrivals (345,000) came to work for more than three months"
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
        "Only about 10 per cent of the new arrivals (345,000) came to work for more than three months"
        Gosh, so when the three months were up did that other 90% all sign on?
        Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
        threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
          Gosh, so when the three months were up did that other 90% all sign on?
          Threaded, you are not very strong at maths from what I can see.

"More than 3.5 million eastern and central Europeans have visited Britain since the European Union opened its doors to eight new member states from behind the former Iron Curtain. "

3.5 million people have "visited" Britain. Their average stay is 3 months. How long since they opened the bareers for EU? 3 years (36 month), that means that every month you have 100 thousands polish working here which is a more appropriate and realistic figure and it certainly isn't such flooding to those who are a bit more literate in maths than Milan and you.
          I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

Originally posted by Francko
            Threaded, you are not very strong at maths from what I can see.

"More than 3.5 million eastern and central Europeans have visited Britain since the European Union opened its doors to eight new member states from behind the former Iron Curtain. "

3.5 million people have "visited" Britain. Their average stay is 3 months. How long since they opened the bareers for EU? 3 years (36 month), that means that every month you have 100 thousands polish working here which is a more appropriate and realistic figure and it certainly isn't such flooding to those who are a bit more literate in maths than Milan and you.
            I think you'll find that Threaded is not much good at anything, except eating pies - although he's deluded himself that he's some kind of a cross between James Bond and Einstein.
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Err, shome mishtake

Originally posted by sasguru
              I think you'll find that Threaded is not much good at anything, except eating pies - although he's deluded himself that he's some kind of a cross between James Bond and Einstein.
              A cross between Jenny Bond and Frankenstein, shirley?
              Why not?

Comment

Originally posted by Dundeegeorge
                A cross between Jenny Bond and Frankenstein, shirley?
                Jenni Murray, more like.

Comment

Originally posted by Fleetwood
                  Yet at the same time there ar 1.5 million unemplored...
                  Huge areas of South Wales live on beenefits because they won't get off their arses and get a job. Clearly the jobs are there, nasty and low-paid admittedly, but they're there.

F in "On yer bike" mode
                  <Fleetwood mode>benefits
                  unemployed</Fleetwood mode>
                  I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
                  Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

A friend of mine is adamant on becoming an academic. Having just completed his PhD in February and in significant debt, he needed some money pretty quick. He approached the high street job agents in Victoria; without fail the most they could offer him was £11/hr, unless he wanted to 'teach' in which case it would be more.

As a student, 10 years ago, guess what I was earning for beer money while living under the parental roof during the holidays? Nearly £11/hr.

Comment

Working...
                    X