• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Investment opportunity - buy stamps now!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Investment opportunity - buy stamps now!

Royal Mail first class stamp price could soar: Ofcom plans to end capped prices | Mail Online

Royal Mail may soon be allowed to charge as much as it likes for a first-class stamp, raising fears the price could hit £1.

Ofcom wants to do away with the caps which limit the amount Royal Mail can charge for its services. The proposals could come into force as soon as April.

Ofcom, whose proposals are subject to an 11-week public consultation, insisted there was no option but to let Royal Mail start charging more.

Looks like a safer bet than gold or silver for those looking to get out of sterling. The price of 1st class stamps only ever goes up, and if this comes to pass then you could double your money. A few rolls of a thousand shouldn't take up much room either.

Are there limits to how many stamps one can buy?
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

[QUOTE=PAH;1414109Are there limits to how many stamps one can buy?[/QUOTE]

Think I'll buy a few for a dry spell. Better bet than the euro. Cheers.

Comment

I suppose the only problem may be reselling them all afterwards, especially if they are easy to forge, as all those messing around with fake £1 coins will move into these. Paper is cheaper than metal, or whatever they use to make fake coins.

Though if you post lots of mail it could save you a fortune over the coming years.
      Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
        The price of 1st class stamps only ever goes up.
        That's true, especially with inflation raging.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
          I suppose the only problem may be reselling them all afterwards, especially if they are easy to forge, as all those messing around with fake £1 coins will move into these. Paper is cheaper than metal, or whatever they use to make fake coins.

Though if you post lots of mail it could save you a fortune over the coming years.
          Won't buy too many - although always come in handy for posting expenses (not returning contracts I'm supposed to sign).
          Also, there will no doubt be a public outcry and probably won't reach the £1 mark.

Comment

First class stamps have been a good hedge against inflation ever since you could buy them with the legend denoting first class rather than the monetary value. As far as I remember you could only get them by the book over the PO counter. That may have changed now.

They did con me precisely once when I bought a book of 'em from a machine, and these had the monetary value on them. Needless to say, the price went up shortly after that, and I had to buy a load of tiddlers to top them up. It was more the inconvenience than the cost that annoyed me.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              As far as I remember you could only get them by the book over the PO counter. That may have changed now.

Probably need to get them direct from the royal mail for larger quantities. They sell them in sheets or rolls up to 1000.

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
              They did con me precisely once when I bought a book of 'em from a machine, and these had the monetary value on them.

I don't think they put the monetary value on them these days. Can't remember the last time I saw one that didn't say '1st'. Probably so people forget how much prices have risen over the years.
              Feist - I Feel It All

Comment

Every so often, Superdrug do an 8.5% discount on stamps.

Makro often have a bulk discount as well.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Royal Mail online sells them in lots of 100 and 500 stamps. 46p a stamp, no discount, so why bother???
                  Best Forum Advisor 2014
                  Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                  Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                    Every so often, Superdrug do an 8.5% discount on stamps.
                    They tend to do them a couple of months before the prices go up.

I buy a few books and then when I run out get shocked by the new price of stamps.
                    "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Working...
                    X