PDA

View Full Version : General Anaesthetic

wurzel
22nd October 2011, 18:02
Had my first ever GA yesterday.

Op went fine & I was out of recovery in 15 minutes or so. Felt fine - which is good because I was worried about the after effects.

Then I went back to hotel, ordered a pizza & drank a load of coke. Bad move - spent rest of the night on the karzee :(

Reckon it was all the pills they made me swallow wot done it. Anyone else had similar experience?

NotAllThere
22nd October 2011, 18:09
Last time, I woke up feeling fine and didn't start feeling bad until they gave me a shot of morphine.

suityou01
22nd October 2011, 19:36

Op went fine & I was out of recovery in 15 minutes or so. Felt fine - which is good because I was worried about the after effects.

Then I went back to hotel, ordered a pizza & drank a load of coke. Bad move - spent rest of the night on the karzee :(

Reckon it was all the pills they made me swallow wot done it. Anyone else had similar experience?

Get well soon me old son. Can't add to this as the last time I was under I was 9.

Guiness is Godly. Get on that. :D

Cliphead
22nd October 2011, 19:58
Had day surgery a few years ago, GA. Recovered quickly and was told not to touch alcohol for at least 24 hours.

Was in the pub by teatime and had a few pints with no ill effects although I think avoiding the painkillers they provided me with was probably part of that.

mudskipper
22nd October 2011, 20:06
I thought this thread was going to be a comment on the quality of CUK posts.

I always chuck up after any mucking around - operation/childbirth/dentistry etc. Not sure what causes it - think my body just doesn't like being messed around with. Child 3 I did drugs free thinking it was the pain relief that caused it, but same result. Most recent experience was an op under local a few years ago - was fine later the same day, but the following morning was like the most hellish hangover ever - husband had to stop the car twice on the way home from hospital.

Take it easy - get well soon.

Paddy
22nd October 2011, 20:53

It’s the Coke that did it. Under general you are breathing a gas and your blood stream needs to be clear. Having fizzy drinks or flying or diving etc could kill you. Read the small print that you sign before having the op.

wurzel
22nd October 2011, 21:29
Yep, opioid painkillers will give you constipation. May also cause nausea and diarrhoea.

I had to take 6 different pills 5 minutes before I went into the theatre. They said use as little water as possible but, because my mouth was so dry from the nerves, I ended up drinking almost a whole glass. This kind of worried me because they were very strict about not letting me have any water to drink at all once I was 2 hours from op time.

wurzel
22nd October 2011, 21:31
Guiness is Godly. Get on that. :D

Got a couple of bottles of Fursty Ferret waiting for me to have with me Sunday roast tomorrow :happy

Sockpuppet
22nd October 2011, 22:45

You were lucky. When I was cut open I was given a monster dose of drugs into the spine. Spinal anaesthesia - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spinal_anaesthesia)

Which basically means I pissed myself on the operating table. Good job i didn't need the a number 2.

stek
23rd October 2011, 01:20
Christ...

I'm fifty and had I've had nowt, and I'm well unhealthy, 6' 4", well fat tho, 18 stone easy, and all flab, no muscle. Only thing I can remember is tonsils at 6, two bad car crashes (both of which I came out of unscathed), a bout of cellulitis, and worst for me, clinical depression circa 2003....

Added to that I usually expect a flu-type illness every year or so, but nothing since 2008, hardly even a cold.

Means I'll get the lot tomorrow...

I think, time to sort misen oot...

Sockpuppet
23rd October 2011, 08:21
Christ...

I'm fifty and had I've had nowt, and I'm well unhealthy, 6' 4", well fat tho, 18 stone easy, and all flab, no muscle. Only thing I can remember is tonsils at 6, two bad car crashes (both of which I came out of unscathed), a bout of cellulitis, and worst for me, clinical depression circa 2003....

Added to that I usually expect a flu-type illness every year or so, but nothing since 2008, hardly even a cold.

Means I'll get the lot tomorrow...

I think, time to sort misen oot...

Mine was a result of a motorbike accident. Other than that never had a day of sick then had 3 months off learning to walk properly again :(

xoggoth
23rd October 2011, 09:15
Never had any sort of operation, never get ill apart from a slight sniffle and a bit under the weather feeling. This is probably because I just sit in my shed on my own all day staring at the wall.

SimonMac
23rd October 2011, 09:19
When my son was born by cesarian my ex's anaesthetist was called Mr Sleep!

centurian
23rd October 2011, 09:45

They normally call them gassers - while the surgeons are called slashers... mostly when out of earshot of patients though.

TimberWolf
23rd October 2011, 11:11

Thankfully he wasn't called Mr Shipman.

SimonMac
23rd October 2011, 11:19
They normally call them gassers - while the surgeons are called slashers... mostly when out of earshot of patients though.

No, his actual name was Mr Sleep!

VectraMan
23rd October 2011, 11:31
I had a sedative whilst having the camera down the the throat procedure (fortunately not from the other direction). I was completely out, and had no recollection of talking to the doctor afterwards although apparently I seemed awake and was asking questions. I got home mid-afternoon, closed my eyes for a moment whilst laying on the sofa, and woke up 15 hours later.

I've had a proper general anesthetic a couple of times, but it didn't have that kind of effect.

Lockhouse
24th October 2011, 08:50
I had a GA when I my nose cartilage rebuilt after breaking it - forgot to tell them to straighten it at the same time. Also when I had my wisdom teeth done.

Had a couple of sedatives when doing the throat camera thingy.

Most unsettling was the "hot flush" drug they give you just prior to a MRI scan.

cailin maith
24th October 2011, 09:29
Only ever had a GA twice and both times I woke up strapped to the bed. It seriously didn't agree with me and I thrashed about so much they had to tie me down :frown

Churchill
24th October 2011, 09:33
Only ever had a GA twice and both times I woke up strapped to the bed. It seriously didn't agree with me and I thrashed about so much they had to tie me down :frown

You're much better with Rohypnol though.

Ooops...

Wodewick
24th October 2011, 09:34
.......I thrashed about so much they had to tie me down :frown

Foreplay??

craig1
24th October 2011, 09:37
The last time I was under they gave me morphine and I was throwing everything up for 24 hours afterwards. They had to put me on an IV drip to get the normal painkillers into my system as well as fluids.

cailin maith
24th October 2011, 09:39

Ooops...

Foreplay??

:spank::spank:

Wodewick
24th October 2011, 09:42

Ooops...

Foreplay??

:spank::spank:

A threesome!!! :emb :emb :emb

Churchill
24th October 2011, 10:14
A threesome!!! :emb :emb :emb

Pas ce soir Joséphine.

Wodewick
24th October 2011, 10:17
Pas ce soir Joséphine.

lambinez-vous puis de copain

Churchill
24th October 2011, 10:20
lambinez-vous puis de copain

Je ne suis pas votre compagnon!

Wodewick
24th October 2011, 10:28
Je ne suis pas votre compagnon!

correct assez loyalement mon aquaintaince éloigné

d000hg
24th October 2011, 10:36
Yep, opioid painkillers will give you constipation. May also cause diarrhoea.Now that would be an interesting combination. Pockets of high-pressure gas and liquid blocked between constipation 'corks'.

gingerjedi
24th October 2011, 10:49
I had sedation whilst having the inside of my lower bowel examined.

I woke up just before the end & can still remember seeing sommat or other on the monitor.

You big wuss, last time I had a colonoscopy they got the tube right around to my small intestine and I elected to forgo any sedation as I had to pick my car up from an MOT.

Churchill
24th October 2011, 10:51
You big wuss, last time I had a colonoscopy they got the tube right around to my small intestine and I elected to forgo any sedation as I had been practising with my wife and her strap-on.

Whatever turns you on. :wink