• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Selling personal assets to company...AT PROFIT?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Selling personal assets to company...AT PROFIT?

I purchased a printer for £100. It was on special offer (The online price at amazon and other retailers is £209.99).
    This was purchased around a month BEFORE I formed my limited company however it was purchased in the interest of my company.

I'm thinking about the following options:

1)Simply claim £100 from my company as pre-incorporation expense. Transfer £100 from my company account into my personal account.

2)Sell it to my company for £100 as a sale of my personal asset to the company. Transfer £100 from company account into my personal account.

3)Sell it to my company for £209.99 as a sale of my personal asset to the company. Transfer £209.99 from company account into my personal account.

Are all three options valid?

Do i have to make up some kind of receipt for options 2 and 3 just for audit trail purposes?

Number 2 and write a receipt for it IMO.

Buggering about making 100 quid profit (which you don't as your company money will end up in your pocket eventually anyway albeit a little taxed) is really not worth it.
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

In reality option 1 will be as cost effective as option 3. In any case the amount we're talking about you getting better off by is £20 at best between £100 and £210.

Comment

how do you work out the £20 ?

Comment

Originally posted by knight007 View Post
          how do you work out the £20 ?
          If you pay yourself £100 for the printer that has reduced your CT by £20.

If you pay yourseld £200 for the printer that has reduced your CT by £40.

As you can pay dividends from profit with no extra tax to pay the difference between the two is £20 not the £100 you're thinking off.

Then if you want to be really thorough doing option 1) you can reclaim the VAT of £20 from the printer which will give you a net extra of £16 to pay as dividends you can't do this for option 2) or 3) (assuming non flat rate) so in reality you're standing to gain around £4 from this scam....sorry sale.

I reckon it's probably cost client co more than £4 for me in the time it took me to type this....
          Last edited by Sockpuppet; 24 October 2011, 07:58.

Comment

You can sell the printer to your company for £209.99 as long as it’s an “arm’s length transaction”, which means the transaction with yourself is transparent and at a fair market value.

There would not be any personal tax issues with this as it’s a personal asset and you are not selling the printer as part of a trade. I would record this transaction and use evidence to support your valuation and a related party note should be placed in the published company accounts. I would also go as far as documenting a directors meeting too, just for precaution.

The only problem would arise if HMRC asked why you purchased a printer at £100 a month ago and then valued it at £209.00 a month later. The obvious argument is “current replacement cost” as per amazon, but would this meet the fair market value assessment?

Comment

Originally posted by NimbusAccounting View Post
              You can sell the printer to your company for £209.99 as long as it’s an “arm’s length transaction”, which means the transaction with yourself is transparent and at a fair market value.

There would not be any personal tax issues with this as it’s a personal asset and you are not selling the printer as part of a trade. I would record this transaction and use evidence to support your valuation and a related party note should be placed in the published company accounts. I would also go as far as documenting a directors meeting too, just for precaution.

The only problem would arise if HMRC asked why you purchased a printer at £100 a month ago and then valued it at £209.00 a month later. The obvious argument is “current replacement cost” as per amazon, but would this meet the fair market value assessment?
              For the sake of somewhere between £4 and £20? It'd probably cost you more in time to write the paper work than just using option 1.

Comment

Along the same lines as the OP,

I bought an expensive laptop back in 2008 solely for use for work. At the time I was working through an umbrella so couldn't expense it, I just paid for it from my own bank account (via paypal as it was from Flea-Bay).

I paid £1200 for it.

I went limited in Dec 2010, so can I sell this laptop to the Ltd Co, as it is still solely used for my business.

Its pretty obvious its a work only laptop, Its a Panasonic Toughbook Cf-19, and in the environment I work it, pretty much essential unless I want to buy a new laptop every year as previous one has been damaged. Its used to connect to vendors equipment, invoicing, timesheets. For home use I use another PC, even take my home laptop with me when im in accomodation as the small keyboard of the Cf-19 is impractical.

Steve

Comment

Originally posted by Tomo1971 View Post
                  Along the same lines as the OP,

I bought an expensive laptop back in 2008 solely for use for work. At the time I was working through an umbrella so couldn't expense it, I just paid for it from my own bank account (via paypal as it was from Flea-Bay).

I paid £1200 for it.

I went limited in Dec 2010, so can I sell this laptop to the Ltd Co, as it is still solely used for my business.

Its pretty obvious its a work only laptop, Its a Panasonic Toughbook Cf-19, and in the environment I work it, pretty much essential unless I want to buy a new laptop every year as previous one has been damaged. Its used to connect to vendors equipment, invoicing, timesheets. For home use I use another PC, even take my home laptop with me when im in accomodation as the small keyboard of the Cf-19 is impractical.

Steve
                  Absolutely fine, just sell it to the company by adding it to your Expenses. I'd suggest looking on Ebay or similar for a reasonable second hand value to use.
                  ContractorUK Best Forum Adviser 2013

Comment

LOL

you have not started the Ltd co and yet you are full of ideas how to run circles round the taxman.

Personally i will go for option 1 and sleep well at night

css_jay99

Comment

Working...
                    X