• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Driving to London - middle of the night

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Driving to London - middle of the night

Hi.

Having spent a bit contracting in the mainland Europe, I am now flying into Stansted for a couple of business meetings near Earl's Court. I am arriving around midnight on Tuesday and departing 7am on Friday.
    At such hours, the public transport is not so great, for example if I took a train to Liverpool street, I would expect the tube to be closed byt the time I arrive (1am if I'm lucky), likewise - I may stay the last night near the airport somewhere, but if I wanted to arrive from London in time for check-in I wouldn't sleep at all...

All those things considered, I am now actually thinking of renting a car for the period, which is less than £50 for a small one, in total.
    Then driving to a hotel near Earl's Court and keeping it there for the duration of my stay and driving back on Thursday evening/night, or if things get busy even Friday morning

Any flaws with that plan, I suppose congestion charge is not normally included when renting at Stansted, would I have to pay that for driving to a hotel near Earl's Court? I suppose not?

Finally on Thursday, I would love to park somewhere near Embankment to save some time, but I guess it's not a cheap option for a parking + congestion charge, even if I do get a place, right?

Also it seems that there used be a National Express coach straight from Stansted to Earl's Court, but can't find it anymore...

Any comment are very welcome - the flight hours are not flexible due to other commitments on Tuesday and Friday...

Have you priced up a taxi? Might be a bit more expensive, but probably WAAAAAAY more convenient.
    And the lord said unto John; "come forth and receive eternal life." But John came fifth and won a toaster.

Comment

Originally posted by yasockie View Post
      Hi.

Having spent a bit contracting in the mainland Europe, I am now flying into Stansted for a couple of business meetings near Earl's Court. I am arriving around midnight on Tuesday and departing 7am on Friday.
      At such hours, the public transport is not so great, for example if I took a train to Liverpool street, I would expect the tube to be closed byt the time I arrive (1am if I'm lucky), likewise - I may stay the last night near the airport somewhere, but if I wanted to arrive from London in time for check-in I wouldn't sleep at all...

All those things considered, I am now actually thinking of renting a car for the period, which is less than £50 for a small one, in total.
      Then driving to a hotel near Earl's Court and keeping it there for the duration of my stay and driving back on Thursday evening/night, or if things get busy even Friday morning

Any flaws with that plan, I suppose congestion charge is not normally included when renting at Stansted, would I have to pay that for driving to a hotel near Earl's Court? I suppose not?

Finally on Thursday, I would love to park somewhere near Embankment to save some time, but I guess it's not a cheap option for a parking + congestion charge, even if I do get a place, right?

Also it seems that there used be a National Express coach straight from Stansted to Earl's Court, but can't find it anymore...

Any comment are very welcome - the flight hours are not flexible due to other commitments on Tuesday and Friday...
      I have been caught out on a similar itinerary and the flight was late arriving. I got into London at 1:30am, there was no underground, no busses and I could not find one taxi free. I walked three miles across London. I avoid Luton and Stansted whenever possible. A Car in central London is out the question unless you can find somewhere to park it.
      "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

You'll need to pre-book a taxi from Stanstead to Earls Court if you're arriving at midnight (or more likely, after....) and trying to drive from Earls Court to Embankment "to save time" is a novel concept. As there's a tube stop there, you would be far better off on the tube from EC to Embankment, rather than spending 30 minutes driving around trying to find a parking spot, never mind paying parking charges via mobile phone.

Comment

Originally posted by b0redom View Post
          Have you priced up a taxi? Might be a bit more expensive, but probably WAAAAAAY more convenient.
          WHS

Might actually work out cheaper once petrol and parking are taken in to consideration
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

Dunno if it will affect you, but the M11 will be closed between junctions 8 and 10 overnight, on 27th & 28th.

Come to think of it, those junctions are north of Stanstead so you should be OK.

Also, you won't be able to leave a car parked in Earls Court unless you have a parking permit - They'll tow it away within an hour or two.
            Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              I have been caught out on a similar itinerary and the flight was late arriving. I got into London at 1:30am, there was no underground, no busses and I could not find one taxi free. I walked three miles across London. I avoid Luton and Stansted whenever possible. A Car in central London is out the question unless you can find somewhere to park it.
              I ended up landing at Heathrow Terminal 4 late one night in the early nineties after a detour to Birmingham because of bad weather, then back again because the weather had cleared up. No buses or underground available and the only hotel wanted 130 quid for a night. I wasn't paying that for 4 ot 5 hours' kip so got my head down on some seats, then the first tube out in the morning.

Not recommended.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

On a slight tangent...

If one were driving to central London and wanted to park as close as possible without incurring parking and congestion fees, where do you try? Clearly it would need to be close to some further mode of transport. Last time I visited the Museum (forget which one), over 10 years ago, I parked on the street right next to it, but that's probably out of the question now.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  On a slight tangent...

If one were driving to central London and wanted to park as close as possible without incurring parking and congestion fees, where do you try? Clearly it would need to be close to some further mode of transport. Last time I visited the Museum (forget which one), over 10 years ago, I parked on the street right next to it, but that's probably out of the question now.
                  I parked at Milton Keynes last time. Station has a massive car park and there are frequent, direct and relatively cheap trains to Euston.
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                    On a slight tangent...

I often park near Croxley Green tube station between Rickmansworth and Watford. Very handy for the motorway and plenty of side streets within 5 mins walk with 'free parking' (assuming you have current road tax).

Tube into Baker St and I'm laughing!
                    And on the eighth day God said, "Okay, Murphy, you're in charge!"

Comment

Working...
                    X