• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

My BTL letting agent taking the pi$$ or not?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My BTL letting agent taking the pi$$ or not?

Short version, my ceiling fell in due to a water leak from the flat above. While the repairs were underway the tenant was offered a rebate on the normal monthly rate as compensation.

The letting agency see fit to charge their % on the full month of rent and not the reduced during the repair period.

In their e-mail they call it 'their projected fees'

I call it taking advantage. I'm this close >< to telling them where to go. Someone throw a preverbal splash of cold water over me and tell me I'm overreacting.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Does the contract say anything about this?

Comment

Claim it back from whoever owns the flat above
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by BrilloPad View Post
        Does the contract say anything about this?
        Nothing about force majeure. Which is exactly what this is about 'sorry we don't care if there's been an earthquake we still want our %'.
        "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Claim it back from whoever owns the flat above
          Can't the problem existed prior to their purchasing the flat.

Comment

A grey area here, as they did get the tenants in. I would say yes let them, on balance. My feeling is other letting agencies would probably do the same. It isn't as if the aency is in anyway responsible for the mishap.

If a tenant doesn't pay or there is no tenant and they charge a fee that isn't acceptable.

It's highly unusual to have to do this, so it isn't like it's going to happen often. Grit your teeth, repair pronto and get the rent coming in.
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
              Can't the problem existed prior to their purchasing the flat.
              Who cares if the problem was there before they purchased, if the water came from the flat above its down to them/their insurance company to cover the damage and costs

also who authorised the lower rate, surely it your decision to lower the rent not theirs at which point you could have discussed their %

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post

also who authorised the lower rate, surely it your decision to lower the rent not theirs at which point you could have discussed their %
                Not reduced rate, rebate. Tenant paid normally agent returned a sum for each month the repair were underway (2 of them).

I've effectively reimbursed the tenant and the agent for force majeure.

But I agree with what BB is saying, it's a grey area and comes with the trade old houses etc.

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  Not reduced rate, rebate. Tenant paid normally agent returned a sum for each month the repair were underway (2 of them).

I've effectively reimbursed the tenant and the agent for force majeure.

But I agree with what BB is saying, it's a grey area and comes with the trade old houses etc.
                  I see what your saying, i suppose taking a small hit on the % but still keeping the tenant sweet is small price to pay and presumably repairs are not going to take to long and the agent is still providing the agent service if the tenant is still in residence

Comment

Originally posted by Support Monkey View Post
                    Who cares if the problem was there before they purchased, if the water came from the flat above its down to them/their insurance company to cover the damage and costs
                    Why?

Comment

Working...
                    X