• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ouch, timing chain snapped on the motorway

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ouch, timing chain snapped on the motorway

ouch,

a friend's x5, 3.5 years old, consequently 6 months out of guarantee, 160,000kms

he was driving up the motorway,

and the timing chain snapped

fecked the whole engine

new engine's gonna cost about 12 large

apparently the timing chain will last the life of the engine, guess that'll be 160,000kms then

I must add, as far as I understand he missed an oil change, this means he went twice as long on his oil as he was mean't to

Milan.
    Last edited by milanbenes; 24 October 2011, 15:44.

Any other car and I might have felt sorry for the guy, but an x5, no. Good riddance! (I wish to state that I am not an eco-lune, I simply find SUVs unsightly and plebeian)
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
      ouch,

a friend's x5, 3.5 years old, consequently 6 months out of guarantee, 160,000kms

he was driving up the motorway,

and the timing chain snapped

fecked the whole engine

new engine's gonna cost about 12 large

apparently the timing chain will last the life of the engine, guess that'll be 160,000kms then

Milan.
      I did 100k miles in a Ford Explorer, same thing happened. Flogged the car for £5k with a knackered engine.

Comment

160,000kms is the sort of distance were big things start to go wrong with a car
        Coffee's for closers

Comment

Mich,

you won't like my Pathfinder then ?

Winston, what charriot are you running around in these days ?

Last I remember was the AR8

I'd still like to try the RR or the RRS next is pennies permit.

Milan.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
            160,000kms is the sort of distance were big things start to go wrong with a car
            I had a peugeot 306 diesel with 220000 on it and it never missed a beat although it was serviced at all the right interval and i always used genuine parts were i could

Comment

Originally posted by milanbenes View Post
              A mate had the timing chain snap on an M Series Beemer in the 1980s, within the warranty period.

He was advised by BMW themselves to replace the next one at a shorter interval than that recommended by the service schedule, and when the time came, he asked the garage to do it.

They didn't, and sure as eggs is eggs, that one snapped too, and naturally the warranty had expired by then. BMW did go half way with him for the costs, as a goodwill claim. Maybe your mate could try for one of those.

Moral of the story: Don't necessarily trust the official recommendations with timing gear.
              Last edited by Sysman; 24 October 2011, 14:34.
              Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

thanks sysman,

he currently has a new 530d on free loan so I have the feeling the bmer dealer is open to some good will

right advice though, chanin sooner rather than later

Milan.

Comment

Chain? Or belt? Chains can snap though rarely...

Comment

stek,

yes it was the chain

Milan.

Comment

Working...
                    X