• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Pi calculated to 10 trillion places

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pi calculated to 10 trillion places

"Alexander Yee and Shigeru Kondo, respectively a computer scientist in the US and a systems engineer in Japan, fought hard-drive failures and narrowly missed widespread technical disruptions due to the Japan earthquake..."

Good work, lads

It would be funny if it were to suddenly end at the n'th decimal place, or finish with 3 recurring, whatever.

Comment

If that happened the universe would end and Satan would possess us all.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Interesting trivia:

The number 2π (sometimes referred to by the greek letter τ (tau)) has a corresponding sequence of seven consecutive 9s beginning at position 761.
        Feynman point - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          It would be funny if it were to suddenly end at the n'th decimal place, or finish with 3 recurring, whatever.
          It would be very funny indeed.

Proof that pi is irrational
          While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Great now you can calculate that area with super precision! err what's the point.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Yeah, the reality is boring. It's not know whether the digits are randomly distributed though. It would be funny if they weren't. Not anywhere near as funny as just ending suddenly, admittedly.

Comment

Originally posted by russell View Post
                err what's the point.
                That's the little dot after the 3.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

I once wrote a program to write programs that would try to find programs that would solve simple problems. Didn't find an algorithm for PI, but things such as greatest common divisors popped out pretty quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post

Too right

You guys

You're killin' me!

"Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Working...
                    X