• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your first Airfix Kit...?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your first Airfix Kit...?

Mine was a Series 2 I think, Avro Anson.

Circa 1973, probably cost 23p including glue and Humbrol paint. Though this was a British plane being British myself I rooted for the underdog, and preferred the German Planes with their timing chains...

I still know the German colours, as the instructions were in German too, the Spitfire (Series 1 if not in a Dog Fight Double with with the Me Bf109) was Duck Egg Blue underneath, Hellblau in German, bit rubbish really...

Nicht Kleben - Do not Cement, especially important with transparencies, i.e. canopies, turrets etc, with the Anson, fingermarks all over the canopy, poor show.

I wanted the Series 1 Fairey Battle, never saw it in any model shop in Bolton in the early seventies, I wanted it because as a budding contractor, it had a huge wingspan for a Series 1, and I wanted more plastic for my 23p...

By 1979 I'd worked my way up to 1/24th scale Harriers, Ansons meant nowt to me then. At one point I hit rock-bottom. Yes, Airfix Historical Figures.....

Richard the Lionheart, King Henry the Bloody Eighth, I hastily assembled and meticulously painted the whole rank of English Kings, and even did the Airfix Otto-Cycle four-stroke engine kit...

And after that, beer and women and then just beer...

Dunkelgrun!

Not first, but certainly the largest one I completed: Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
      Not first, but certainly the largest one I completed: Consolidated PBY-5A Catalina
      I love the Catalina, I have a recurring dream where I restore one and fly all over loads of tropical islands the like we just don't see in either the Greater Manchester conurbation or the Leeds Bradford one.

I especially like the big glass bubbles on the sides...

I wish I was 13 again, five wanks a day no problem as well all this Airfix shiit going on....

Comment

Vintage Airfix - Fairey Battle, Ref:03032

The Fairey Battle was never Series 3 and was issued well before 1979, that's crap!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
          Vintage Airfix - Fairey Battle, Ref:03032

The Fairey Battle was never Series 3 and was issued well before 1979, that's crap!
          Looking for this one perhaps? Vintage Airfix - Fairey Battle, Ref:259

Comment

This takes me back, I couldn't say what the first kit was but Hurricane, Spitfire, Avro Anson, TSR 2 were there, also a Vauxhall Viva (must have been a present), MG 1100 (two tone) and Lotus Cortina. Some BEA (BOAC?) passenger jet (something 101?). Tiger Tank, Golden Hind, HMS Victory, QE2. SS France. The Black Prince in armour - that was fiddly to paint..

There were some non-Airfix kits as well - Revell? and did Humbrol or an associated company do some?

Full Airfix Model Kit List

I always wanted to do the old classic Bentley, but by the time I could afford one my interests had turned to wimmin. Maybe I should have stuck to Plan A there...
            Last edited by Sysman; 25 October 2011, 07:15.
            Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

First one was a Hurricane.

Second was a V2 although that was a Revell H560 V2 not an airfix one.

Comment

Also an English Electric Lightning, and as we discussed some time ago there's a real one on display somewhere near Leyland or Preston.

Comment

Originally posted by Sysman View Post
                  Also an English Electric Lightning, and as we discussed some time ago there's a real one on display somewhere near Leyland or Preston.
                  BB2 7LF

Comment

Originally posted by NickFitz View Post
                    Looking for this one perhaps? Vintage Airfix - Fairey Battle, Ref:259
                    I remember that one too. Just how many of these things did I build?

Sopwith Camel. Junkers Ju 88, and a Messerschmitt fighter.

Comment

Working...
                    X