• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

FTL Neutrinos on Horizon.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

FTL Neutrinos on Horizon.

It took me 4 attempts to stay awake through the final 10 minutes of that programme. <rewind a bit> <fall asleep again> <rewind a bit> <etc>

However, I stayed awake quite successfully through the documentary on BBC2 at 21:00, "The Origins of Us*".

I wonder why that might be?

*A slight misnomer, since those ain't my origins, being a GAL, but there you go. Always interesting to see the monkey ancestors of the Bewigged One, don't you know, what?
    Last edited by zeitghost; 25 October 2011, 07:45.

It's a bit of a corny title. They probably tried all the good ones, found them all used and said oh **** it, let's just go with "Origins of Us" ffs.

Man the big butted running, large brained, big thumbed, tool user and cook, meat and starch eating sweating ape.

Comment

There was a programme about waves last night on BBC4, which could have been good, but was done by someone big on emotion and airy fairiness and short of brains, which made it painful to endure.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
        There was a programme about waves last night on BBC4, which could have been good, but was done by someone big on emotion and airy fairiness and short of brains, which made it painful to endure.
        An accurate description of BBC science for the masses
        How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
          I stayed awake quite successfully through the documentary on BBC2 at 21:00, "The Origins of Us*".

I chose to watch that too, seeing as ALL THE OTHER CHANNELS WERE FULL OF DROSS!

Interesting how there's a tribe in Africa that supposedly still behaves the same as our ancestors, and explains why men and women pair up for life (men go hunting for meat, women go gathering fruits and tubas).

When the banks do a runner with my warchest I'm thinking of going back to that way of living. Set up camp in one of those enormous nature parks where they'll never find me, and live my days out by the fireside on home brewed cider.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
            I chose to watch that too, seeing as ALL THE OTHER CHANNELS WERE FULL OF DROSS!

Interesting how there's a tribe in Africa that supposedly still behaves the same as our ancestors, and explains why men and women pair up for life (men go hunting for meat, women go gathering fruits and tubas).

When the banks do a runner with my warchest I'm thinking of going back to that way of living. Set up camp in one of those enormous nature parks where they'll never find me, and live my days out by the fireside on home brewed cider.
            Sounds like one big holiday doesn't it. Men go out hunting, fishing, etc and play with stuff like bows and creep up on things, and the women look for starch. That's when mankind peaked.

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
              It took me 4 attempts to stay awake through the final 10 minutes of that programme. <rewind a bit> <fall asleep again> <rewind a bit> <etc>

However, I stayed awake quite successfully through the documentary on BBC2 at 21:00, "The Origins of Us*".

I wonder why that might be?

*A slight misnomer, since those ain't my origins, being a GAL, but there you go. Always interesting to see the monkey ancestors of the Bewigged One, don't you know, what?
              There is a rational explanation for this which does not include boredom; a chap who studied neurosomethingology told me about it. Personally I often read scientific magazines late at night when I go to bed; it helps me sleep. That's not because it's boring, it isn't boring at all. It's because the brain is exercised in something that's different to the stressful moments during the day, and that reduces the stress hormones and releases those hormones that help you relax. So paradoxically, if you have a somewhat stressful job then interesting things can send you to sleep.
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                Sounds like one big holiday doesn't it. Men go out hunting, fishing, etc and play with stuff like bows and creep up on things, and the women look for starch. That's when mankind peaked.
                Yeah, reminds me of the parable of the mexican fisherman and the investment banker:

An investment banker stood at the pier of a small coastal Mexican village when a small boat with just one fisherman docked. Inside the small boat were several large yellowfin tuna. The banker complimented the fisherman on the quality of his fish and asked how long it took to catch them.

The fisherman replied, “Only a little while.”

The banker then asked why didn’t he stay out longer and catch more fish?

The fisherman said he had enough to support his family’s immediate needs.

The banker then asked, “But what do you do with the rest of your time?”

The fisherman said, “I sleep late, fish a little, play with my children, take siestas with my wife, stroll into the village each evening where I sip wine, and play guitar with my amigos. I have a full and busy life.”

The investor scoffed, “I am an Ivy League MBA and could help you. You should spend more time fishing and with the proceeds, buy a bigger boat. With the proceeds from the bigger boat, you could buy several boats, and eventually you would have a fleet of fishing boats.
                “The investor continued, “And instead of selling your catch to a middleman you would then sell directly to the processor, eventually opening your own cannery. You would control the product, processing, and distribution! You would need to leave this small coastal fishing village and move to Mexico City, then Los Angeles and eventually New York City, where you will run your expanding enterprise.”

The fisherman asked, “But how long will this all take?”

To which the banker replied, “Perhaps 15 to 20 years.”

“But what then?” asked the fisherman.

The banker laughed and said, “That’s the best part. When the time is right you would announce an IPO and sell your company stock to the public and become very rich. You would make millions!”

“Millions. Okay, then what?” wondered the fisherman.

To which the investment banker replied, “Then you would retire. You could move to a small coastal fishing village where you would sleep late, fish a little, play with your kids, take siestas with your wife, and stroll to the village in the evenings where you could sip wine and play your guitar with your amigos.”

Stick two fingers up to the rat race, once you've saved enough money to escape it.
                Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                Feist - I Feel It All
                Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by zeitghost
                  Oddly, watching Alice Roberts' bum didn't send me to sleep at all.
                  So I'm not the only one who sees something fanciable in Alice Roberts?
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
                    So I'm not the only one who sees something fanciable in Alice Roberts?
                    I saw her filming over the summer, perhaps for the current series. She was saying the same line over and over again. Something about 'brain'.

Comment

Working...
                    X