• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I really hate it when…

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I really hate it when…

I really hate it when…

Call centres say “The Data Protection Act” why they really mean “Company Policy”.

Such as:

Call centre. “We require you to give us your DOB under the DPA”.
    Paddy: “You don’t already have my DOB so your not getting it. The DPA is to protect me. It is not an excuse for you to trawl for information.”
    Call centre: “We require the information to comply with the act.”
    Paddy: “Can you give the phone number of you head office?”
    Call centre: “No, it’s against the DPA.”
    Paddy: “The DPA referrers to information about individuals, not companies and corporate bodies.”
    Call centre: “We have been told to say that.”
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

I really hate it when shops need yuor address when you buy something from them
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

I am allergic to corporate bulltulip, especially corporate bulltulip which involves a blatant lie about a matter of the law. I wonder if there is some law against abusing an imaginary legal requirement to mislead customers or other business parties.
      And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        I really hate it when shops need yuor address when you buy something from them
        Make one up, or tell them 'no'. Did that once, they insisted they needed it, I said they weren't getting it, they backed down rather than loose the sale.

Of course, if you really want your washing machine delivered, you might have to comply!
        The vegetarian option.

Comment

Originally posted by wobbegong View Post
          Make one up, or tell them 'no'. Did that once, they insisted they needed it, I said they weren't getting it, they backed down rather than loose the sale.
          I typically give "xx1 1aa" as a postcode

where xx is my local post town postcode identifier. I did have one shop assistant question why I live at a sorting office.

It still fecking annoys me when I'm asked for it for no reason though
          Coffee's for closers

Comment

...or when some numpty calls you, tells you that he has to verify who he is talking to and proceeds to ask for your DOB etc ....

I tell them I'm not allowed to give out the information. DPA.

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
              I typically give "xx1 1aa" as a postcode

where xx is my local post town postcode identifier. I did have one shop assistant question why I live at a sorting office.

It still fecking annoys me when I'm asked for it for no reason though
              There's a handy list of "special" postcodes on Wikipedia.

I see E98 1NW is now unused

Comment

I hate it when you ring the bank and you have to input the long number followed by the hash key and all that, not easy on a moby or a DECT phone since you have to look at phone and can't hear the recorded voice telling you invalid entry. Eventually you get into a queue and then to speak to someone who asks you for the long number....!!

ARGHHH!!

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
                  I hate it when you ring the bank and you have to input the long number followed by the hash key and all that, not easy on a moby or a DECT phone since you have to look at phone and can't hear the recorded voice telling you invalid entry. Eventually you get into a queue and then to speak to someone who asks you for the long number....!!

ARGHHH!!
                  I suspect that one reason banks got themselves and the rest of the world into such a mess is that they don't actually know their customers personally since getting rid of local bank managers and replacing them with 'service desks' and the like.
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by bless 'em all View Post
                    ...or when some numpty calls you, tells you that he has to verify who he is talking to and proceeds to ask for your DOB etc ....

I tell them I'm not allowed to give out the information. DPA.

Good move. Too many phishing scams by cold callers.

I usually tell them to put it in writing if it's important. If they say they can't do that I say "it can't be that important then, goodbye" and put the phone down.

If they try ringing straight back I don't answer. Always reminds me of Lance in Pulp Fiction, sat there eating his cereals ignoring the phone. I bet it winds them up no end.
                    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
                    Feist - I Feel It All
                    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Working...
                    X