• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Basic bread recipe?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basic bread recipe?

What are the relative proportions of ingredients? I've looked at dozens of websites and they come up lacking. I just want the mix proportions, by weight. No cups, tablespoons or drizzles, just normal mass units. I prefer mass over volume too as it's easier to measure, and definitely want unit consistency, not a mixture of pounds, grammes and cups. Anyone got a link?

There is no internationally-agreed standard definition of the cup
    Cup (unit) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    ffs, but hardly a surprise.

Ah found one, which is close enough.

1 loaf =
    700g flour
    1 level teaspoon salt, yeast and sugar
    425 millilitres water.
    http://www.deliaonline.com/how-to-co...ite-bread.html

Comment

If you have all the standard ingredients -

kneed it properly for a full 10 to 12 minutes - its hard work if you do it properly.

a 'wetter' dough is better for a lighter result.

don't 'knock it back' if you want a rustic type of bread.

Comment

The recipe I use in my breadmaker is

550g Strong White Flour
        1.5 tsp Dry Fast Action Yeast
        2 tsp Sugar
        1.5 tsp Salt
        25g Butter or Utterlybutterly type stuff
        360ml water

Recently tried thrid white, 3rd wholemeal, 3rd granary flour, increased water by 20mls, was great.

Got one of these
        Panasonic SD257-WXC

Never made a bad loaf, has a great recipe book for some variety. Savoury loafs, sweet, cake recipes, dough only for croissants etc..
        Last edited by Scrag Meister; 26 October 2011, 10:55.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

My favourite loaf recipe is:

1 x pair of shoes
          1 x vehicle
          1 x 1 pound coin
          1 x Sainsburys

Hope this helps...

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisPackit View Post
            My favourite loaf recipe is:

1 x pair of shoes
            1 x vehicle
            1 x 1 pound coin
            1 x Sainsburys

Hope this helps...
            I was making a pizza base, for which the prices have recently gone stratospheric. Used to be something like 2 for 50p and are now £1, and they go dry quickly in the fridge. They don't take long to make, although I didn't give mine much time to rise when I made one yesterday and the result wasn't fluffy. Wasn't ill though, so a result. Takes almost as long to walk to the shops.

I'm afraid it's a myth that bread making takes time. True, the bread itself needs its own time, but it will only take about 6-10 minutes of your actual time. I have come to the conclusion that it takes me less time than travelling to a really good baker and back.
            How to make white bread - from Delia Online
            Bread next.

Comment

If you want a pizza base recipe, use a focaccia recipe

225g strong flour or tipo "oo", 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 sachet dried yeast (7g) and 100ml warm water (not too warm or you will kill the yeast). 1 tsp salt.

Knead for a good 10 mins and it only needs one proving.
              "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Originally posted by norrahe View Post
                If you want a pizza base recipe, use a focaccia recipe

225g strong flour or tipo "oo", 1 tablespoon olive oil, 1 sachet dried yeast (7g) and 100ml warm water (not too warm or you will kill the yeast). 1 tsp salt.

Knead for a good 10 mins and it only needs one proving.
                Sounds quite runny, as the other two recipes posted here are around the 1.6 flour to 1 part water mark (yours 225/100 = 2.25)

I do sometimes see oil or butter mentioned. Might give that a go, but I find butter a pain in the arse to knead, and oil a bit messy too.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
                  Sounds quite runny, as the other two recipes posted here are around the 1.6 flour to 1 part water mark (yours 225/100 = 2.25)
                  So less runny surely? I mean Norrahes

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post

I do sometimes see oil or butter mentioned. Might give that a go, but I find butter a pain in the arse to knead, and oil a bit messy too.
                    I'll check the recipe (Leiths recipe), but I generally go by look of the dough, as long as its pretty wet, it should be ok. Often you might not use all the water.
                    "Ask not what you can do for your country. Ask what's for lunch." - Orson Welles

Norrahe's blog

Comment

Working...
                    X