• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New laptop, Dell XPS 15z?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New laptop, Dell XPS 15z?

I'm looking for a new laptop. I've currently got the Dell Precision M4400 Intel Core 2 Extreme X9100 3.06Ghz with uprated RAM to 8Gb. Although it's served me well I have 2 main niggles I don't like:

1) weight: when the bulky power supply is included and I've uprated the battery to the longer life 12 cell 8800 mAh battery (the one that sticks out the back) total weight is up around 4kg mark
    2) heat: it gets hot, i followed Spacecadet's advice and cleaned it out and that helped calm the fan noise down but it still gets very hot.

My main requirements are something that's:
    - 15" display min.
    - lightweight 3kg max
    - ideally blu-ray & dvd combo drive
    - 8gb ram
    - 256gb SSD
    - webcam
    - good battery life
    - trackpad mouse
    - >3Ghz

And after looking around I see the Dell XPS 15z seems to fit the bill quite well all apart from the blu-ray drive.

Cost circa £2k although within reason that's negotiable

So, does anyone have one and if so any thoughts?
    or are there any better alternatives out there?

I'm more than happy buying a laptop then upgrading parts if need be such as HDD to SSD or dvd to blu ray or upgrading ram etc. if its not possible to buy the spec outright.
    Last edited by chef; 26 October 2011, 09:49.
    The proud owner of 125 Xeno Geek Points

<flameproofjacket>
    MacBook Pro?
    </flameproofjacket>

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
      <flameproofjacket>
      MacBook Pro?
      </flameproofjacket>
      just looked at the 15" macbook pro

2.5Ghz max cpu speed although it is quad core so most likely equal in speed
      DVD writer only

otherwise pretty close but at circa £2,500 for the spec required to equal the xps 15z it's expensive
      Last edited by chef; 26 October 2011, 09:46.

Comment

I have 2 XPS laptops.

1. Large desktop replacement M1730, 4 years old now but a really good work horse, power and capacity for handling large data processing jobs. Large heavy and ok for lugging from 1 location to the next, not really something to have on your lap on the train.

2. XPS M1330, also 4 years old, more mobile and used for on the move type work, plenty powerful enough for most normal work and light to carry around.

Make sure you get the 3 years extended warranty, Dell cover has always been good when I have had issues in the past. Now expired.
        Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Originally posted by chef View Post
          just looked at the 15" macbook pro

2.4Ghz speed
          DVD writer only
          non SSD hard disk

otherwise pretty close.
          SSDs available during config.
          13" has 2.8Ghz available.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
            SSDs available during config.
            13" has 2.8Ghz available.
            yup, i've edited my reply. I need 15" screen min for work apps screen desktop space. Given past experience it's a bonus if i have a desk and chair never mind a monitor onsite.

Comment

I don't think they make blu ray drives thin enough for you yet.
              I think the 15z looks pretty good at the moment - especially the full HD screen which you can't get on the MacBook unless you go up to a 17" screen.

Comment

Originally posted by Scrag Meister View Post
                Dell cover has always been good when I have had issues in the past. Now expired.
                Did they not call you to extend? I got an extra 2 years added on to mine, making 5 in total.
                Glad I took them up on the offer too. Had the screen and the power brick replaced on it
                Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by anothercodemonkey View Post
                  I don't think they make blu ray drives thin enough for you yet.
                  I think the 15z looks pretty good at the moment - especially the full HD screen which you can't get on the MacBook unless you go up to a 17" screen.
                  I think you may be right

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                    Did they not call you to extend? I got an extra 2 years added on to mine, making 5 in total.
                    Glad I took them up on the offer too. Had the screen and the power brick replaced on it
                    No

Am thinking about installing an SSD in the 1730.
                    Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Working...
                    X