• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Tommy Flowers and Bill Tutte.

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Tommy Flowers and Bill Tutte.

Code-Breakers: Bletchley Park's Lost Heroes
    A Timewatch Special
    BBC2 ... Tuesday 25th October, 2011 ... 9.00-10.00pm

The two heroes who helped decode the "Tunny" transmissions.

As featured in last evening's programme, along with the late lamented recreator of the Collossus, Tony Sale.

Originally posted by zeitghost View Post
    Code-Breakers: Bletchley Park's Lost Heroes
    A Timewatch Special
    BBC2 ... Tuesday 25th October, 2011 ... 9.00-10.00pm

The two heroes who helped decode the "Tunny" transmissions.

As featured in last evening's programme, along with the late lamented recreator of the Collossus, Tony Sale.
    I saw that; enjoyed.
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

It's time they dropped the 'lost heroes sob sob' line from anything to do with Bletchley Park. Full of admiration for what they achieved, and for keeping quiet about it for decades afterwards, but seriously, it's one of the best known stories of the War now. They're hardly 'lost' heroes. I bet there are a hell of a lot of other people who have never spoken to this day, or have at least never been recognised in any way for whatever they did.

Comment

Pretty impressive that Collosus was used to break Soviet codes until the mid 60s. How many computers nowadays last 20 years!

I never got the hang of combinatorics in maths - I'd have been a useless code breaker.
        Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

I saw that; enjoyed.
          WHS

I wonder if the lecturer who taught Tommy Flowers IT Basics in the 1980s knew what he had achieved.
          Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Fabulous name, Tommy Flowers, and now I know who he is. I thought this thread was either going to be about football or a London gangster of the fifties.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
              Fabulous name, Tommy Flowers, and now I know who he is. I thought this thread was either going to be about football or a London gangster of the fifties.
              A colourful life then?
              And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by NotAllThere View Post
                Pretty impressive that Collosus was used to break Soviet codes until the mid 60s. How many computers nowadays last 20 years!

I never got the hang of combinatorics in maths - I'd have been a useless code breaker.
                I'd have been useless too.

To divine all that information from the transmissions without seeing the machine. Beyond my comprehension.

I wonder who the German was who sent that 4k message twice.

Should have got a medal for that (from us).

Comment

Working...
                X