• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Car Insurance - Mileage

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Car Insurance - Mileage

I seem to be asked for my annual mileage on every quote and proposal now - but in this game it's very difficult. If you get a gig in tuliphole London and you don't live there you are pretty much guaranteed to have to use the train - hence 6+ months of minimal car usage - gig elsewhere may or may not involve significant miles. I am also bothered by "where is the vehicle usually kept overnight" - the truthful answer to which (if usually means most often) may be "in a hotel car park". What say the panel?

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I seem to be asked for my annual mileage on every quote and proposal now - but in this game it's very difficult. If you get a gig in tuliphole London and you don't live there you are pretty much guaranteed to have to use the train - hence 6+ months of minimal car usage - gig elsewhere may or may not involve significant miles.
    It is tricky, but estimate a normal weeks usage even if you are using the train. For me, it might be 100 miles a week which is just over 5k a year, yet other times when commuting in my car, it can easily be 260 miles a week. A median figure is around 180 miles a week or 9k a year roughly. Just keep it under 10k if you can.

Originally posted by Peoplesoft bloke View Post
    I am also bothered by "where is the vehicle usually kept overnight" - the truthful answer to which (if usually means most often) may be "in a hotel car park". What say the panel?
    Doesnt matter when you're out and about. At home, do you park on a drive or the street most of the time? If you have a drive, even if you dont park on it all the time just select driveway.

If you need tips on brokers/companies to approach, ways to tweak policies/quotes to get the best price, just let me know as I have a bit of experience in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
      It is tricky, but estimate a normal weeks usage even if you are using the train. For me, it might be 100 miles a week which is just over 5k a year, yet other times when commuting in my car, it can easily be 260 miles a week. A median figure is around 180 miles a week or 9k a year roughly. Just keep it under 10k if you can.
      Most recent years it's been 25K plus so 9K isn't going to fly if anyone looks at insurance/MOT recs - that said 4 years ago I had a 1+ yr gig that started as 3 months in the smokehole - that year I did about 6K.

Comment

Well if you can, maybe shove down 19k, if not, 24k or so .... The lower you can keep your estimate, without vastly underestimating, the better ....

Comment

Originally posted by wim121 View Post
          Well if you can, maybe shove down 19k, if not, 24k or so .... The lower you can keep your estimate, without vastly underestimating, the better ....
          One "trick" I used was, having found the quote I wanted, to requote slowly increasing the mileage until the premium went up. Gives more leeway imv.

Also at the point the mileage is exceeded (or about to be) tell the insurer and pay up the extra (if any). The consequence of exceeding it will vary from company to company; it is a material fact and part of the contract.

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post
            One "trick" I used was, having found the quote I wanted, to requote slowly increasing the mileage until the premium went up. Gives more leeway imv.

And you think they don't record quotes and know about this truck
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by ASB View Post

Also at the point the mileage is exceeded (or about to be) tell the insurer and pay up the extra (if any). The consequence of exceeding it will vary from company to company; it is a material fact and part of the contract.
              Originally posted by sasguru View Post
              Exactly Sas ....

I give each company the same details, as they cross reference quotes, etc. However, after you recieve a quote, then you can ask the agent to tweak the mileage, etc etc, to alter the price as a theoretical question.

Bear in mind, sometimes, not having an immobiliser or alarm, opting for comp instead of TPFT or upping the mileage, can actually save you money.

Comment

The insurer asks you for an estimated annual mileage at the point of quoting. But an estimate is only an estimate. What exactly can they do if it turns out your estimate was wrong? Circumstances change all the time.

Does the policy document ask you to inform them if you subsequently have reason to believe the estimate is materially incorrect? This raises all kinds of questions, like how often do they expect you to re-estimate the mileage? Monthly? Weekly? What basis should you be estimating on? etc.

Reductio ad absurdum: If you had estimated 10,000 annual mileage and at 1 week before the end of the policy you were at 9,990 miles for the year, and had no intention to use the car in the final week, then you suddenly found out you had to make an emergency visit from London to Scotland on a 1000 mile round-trip, this would leave you 10% over your estimate (which is definitely material) - but would your insurer expect you to inform them before making the trip? What if you had to set off at 6:01pm, 1 minute after their call center closed?
                Last edited by Freamon; 26 October 2011, 13:54.
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

WHS. If it's a limited mileage policy (which you can get), then they make that clear at the start, but an estimate doesn't mean you're obliged to do anything as long as the estimate was reasonable at the time you made it.

But it is tricky. I've had short term gigs where I was doing 1000 miles a week, but I wasn't going to put down 52,000 as my estimated annual mileage.

I suppose the question is: would they give you a refund if you phoned up and told them your estimated mileage was now going to be lower than you thought?
                  Will work inside IR35. Or for food.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    I'm not a complete cretin. The point which obviously went straight over your head was this:-

10,000 = £123
                    11,000 = £123
                    12,000 = £123
                    13,000 = £140

The above does happen with some providers. So, put in with a mileage of 12,000 not 10,000.

Comment

Working...
                    X