• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

I feel dirty

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I feel dirty

I think I am now an office bastard.

Clientco's e-commerce director calls me upstairs for a 'quick chat'. So up I go to the top floor, sit down and he does the small talk. Then he comes to the point; 'the budget is running out quickly and <Contractorname>'s contract runs out at the end of this month. I want to keep you on for testing until the end of the year but I need budget to do it. Do you need him for your test team?' I thought for a moment and then said 'no, he's very knowledgeable but his knowledge can be transferred to the new permie guy'.

My contract runs 'till end of november with verbal extension 'till end of december.

Am I a complete tuliphead or is this just the harsh reality of 'bizziniss'?
    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

Clientco's e-commerce director calls me upstairs for a 'quick chat'. So up I go to the top floor, sit down and he does the small talk. Then he comes to the point; 'the budget is running out quickly and <Contractorname>'s contract runs out at the end of this month. I want to keep you on for testing until the end of the year but I need budget to do it. Do you need him for your test team?' I thought for a moment and then said 'no, he's very knowledgeable but his knowledge can be transferred to the new permie guy'.

My contract runs 'till end of november with verbal extension 'till end of december.

Kill or be killed - 'nuff said.

Comment

That's business. It's happened to me on both sides of the fence.

As long as you gave honest answers don't beat yourself up about it.

Comment

Originally posted by Doggy Styles View Post
        That's business. It's happened to me on both sides of the fence.

As long as you gave honest answers don't beat yourself up about it.
        Yep I guess so; I'll be out before long too, but another month's invoicing sure helps the warchest.

Comment

I thought you were going to tell us you were reading the Wail again

But WTAS - times are tough, you have to look out for you first.
          Bazza gets caught
          Socrates - "The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing."

CUK University Challenge Champions 2010

Comment

That's life.

Congrats on the extension.
            Never has a man been heard to say on his death bed that he wishes he'd spent more time in the office.

Comment

Awaits comedy "Doomed: I'm not being extended" thread

Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post

You should feel dirty. The other chap probably doesn't spend all his time posting crap on here.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
                  Awaits comedy "Doomed: I'm not being extended" thread

Yeah, that's coming too, but I'll get another months' dosh in first.

Comment

Originally posted by sasguru View Post
                    You should feel dirty. The other chap probably doesn't spend all his time posting crap on here.
                    Thanks; you've reassured me; it just shows how f**king useless he is when he's 'working'.

Comment

Working...
                    X