• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Power Cut

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Power Cut

Had a power cut at home on Sunday evening for about an hour.

Luckily, I had a box of (proper) candles and a large torch to hand.

Got a call from my brother, who was also affected, and he didn't have any candles so was sat in the dark.

Made me wonder, in general, how well prepared people are for such scenarios.

I'd guess that, compared to previous generations, people don't plan for scenarios such as this that well.

I guess another good recent example of where people were caught out was the snow we had last winter.

So, do you have an appropriate 'emergency kit' at home for such scenarios or do you just wing it?

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

Got a call from my brother, who was also affected, and he didn't have any candles so was sat in the dark.

I'd guess that, compared to previous generations, people don't plan for scenarios such as this that well.

I guess another good recent example of where people were caught out was the snow we had last winter.

So, do you have an appropriate 'emergency kit' at home for such scenarios or do you just wing it?
    I have a battery powered camping lantern and a camping gaz 2 ring stove + grill (and I have some gas for it too).
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Usually have a few candles, but they wouldn't last long. Perhaps cooking oil could also be used to make candles.

Or there's the car, which has heating, modest entertainment, light and electricity.

Comment

I just crank up the genny. Yet again.......
        Life in the country eh?....

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post

A real contractor would have flogged his brother half a dozen candles @ £10 each, and then delivered birthday cake candles a week late, stating that they met the requirements.

Comment

I get frequent power cuts here so very well prepared.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Keep old car battery regularly charged, gas stoves and lamps, plenty of coal and logs. Not too bad now but we used to get frequent cuts a few years back. What was really annoying was that it usually only affected half the street. We were in darkness while those further down the hill, including MR PIKEY SCUM, were ok.
              bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
              John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Working...
              X