• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

What would you let your kids watch?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What would you let your kids watch?

The other thread about films got me thinking that actually I'm ok with my 6 year old daughter watching slightly scary things. Maybe bordering on too scary.

Last week we had a movie night and watched ET. Old but still slightly scary for a 6 year old. She loved it by the way - cried at the sad bits, and so did she.

I have let her watch all of the harry potter films which she absolutely adores. My wife told me off a few weeks ago because generally i'm ok with her watching Doctor Who with me over the weekend, but the one with the dolls house gave her nightmares.

So, am I a bad dad for letting her watch these things? </mumsnet>

Plus, should you tell them about the boogie man, etc? Is it good to instil a little fear or superstition into children, or let them think the world is a cuddly place full of angels?

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
      Plus, should you tell them about the boogie man, etc? Is it good to instil a little fear or superstition into children, or let them think the world is a cuddly place full of angels?
      Well that's exactly it, I don't think a little fear/ suspense does any harm and will hopefully give them a better view reality in the long run.

Comment

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
        Well that's exactly it, I don't think a little fear/ suspense does any harm and will hopefully give them a better view reality in the long run.
        Hiding behind the couch when the Cybermen appeared didn't do me any harm. Thank god for mobile devices...
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Hiding behind the couch when the Cybermen appeared didn't do me any harm.
          He's banned now, it's safe to come out.

Comment

Originally posted by oracleslave View Post
            He's banned now, it's safe to come out.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

E.T. is fine, but I think that the later Harry Potter films are a bit too old for a six year old.

Comment

What about nature documentaries like the David Attenborough stuff? My son loves all of that and he's 5.
                While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Think it depends on how sensitive the child is.

Oldest had nightmares for years after watching Jurassic park. We had to check his cupboard for velociraptors on a regular basis. Others never had a problem with anything.

Comment

All children are different - they don't come with a user guide.

The fact that you're thinking about the issue and actually watching things with her is a plus imo. You're there to bolster his/her confidence, give protection if needed and answer questions.

It's not as if you're dumping your kid in front of the unpaid babysitter watching "SS Experiment Camp"!

As you were Corporal, looks like you're doing a great job.

All in my opinion of course.

Comment

Working...
                    X