• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

When AGW goes wrong

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When AGW goes wrong

When AGW goes wrong; in response to AGW predictions that there would be long dry spells and drought, the Thai government ordered all reservoirs to be filled to the maximum. The dry spell and drought never happened but once the rains came there was no spare capacity in the reservoirs hence the overflowed, caused flooding and killed over 300 people.

After paying the Thai Met Office to investigate AGW, the government is now considering sacking the management.
    "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

I read that Thailand is used to these floods but usually the water is redirected into fields away from the conurbations.

This time they decided not to do the usual redirection due to those fields being owned by the ex-PM and other influential people, so millions get flooded so a few rice fields survive.

May be BS but wouldn't surprise me if it's true. Greed always wins. See the eurozone.
    Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
    Feist - I Feel It All
    Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke
      Smells like BS. Link?
      http://www.nytimes.com/2011/10/14/wo...r=2&ref=floods

Mr. Smith, the meteorologist, said the flooding situation this year had been aggravated by bad water management.

“They miscalculated the water levels and did not discharge water from the dams early enough in the rainy season,” he said. “The dams are almost full now, so they discharge the water at the same time, and all the discharge water comes down to the low-lying areas.”

Those areas become obstacles to the free flow of water, he said, as developers continue to extend their activities.

“They build their estates in low-lying areas that are supposed to be reservoirs,” he said, “and they throw up a dam or a dike, and they block the flow where the water is supposed to go in rainy season.”
      Interestingly, I aquired that link from another blog which trys to spread FUD in the other direction:

A lesson from the Thai floods | Climate Reality
      With climate change, we can expect intense rain events, like those that contributed to the Thai floods, to become more common and severe.
      It's not an extreme weather event, its the rainy season, it does this every year. Its the rest of the enviromental damage, unrelated to global warming but now ignored as everyone obsesses about carbon emissions that has caused this problem.
      Coffee's for closers

Comment

Originally posted by pjclarke
        Smells like BS. Link?
        The link is buy yourself a short-wave radio, not everything is on the Internet

"A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
          not everything is on the Internet
          It's not ?
          Growing old is mandatory
          Growing up is optional

Comment

Originally posted by Halo Jones View Post
            It's not ?
            Hard to believe after finding that clip of you and the three donkeys, I know.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
              Hard to believe after finding that clip of you and the three donkeys, I know.
              Actually it was 2 donkeys and 1 ass
              Growing old is mandatory
              Growing up is optional

Comment

Actually it was 2 donkeys and 1 ass
                2 Donkeys 1 Ass - Youtube is your friend!

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
                  2 Donkeys 1 Ass - Youtube is your friend!
                  I am NOT going to YouTube that from the works PC
                  Growing old is mandatory
                  Growing up is optional

Comment

I am NOT going to YouTube that from the works PC

Comment

Working...
                    X