• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

re-skilling from .NET to WPF?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

re-skilling from .NET to WPF?

Hi All,

I hope that this is the right forum to post into. I am a frequet reader of this forum and I really enjoy reading your comments and experiences but very rarely post.

So I have a large number of years experience in .NET (both C# and VB.NET), mainly websites development/ web apps/ intranet and back-end development with C#, SQL Server, ORM, HTML, Javascript etc.

Lately I was thinking to make myself more marketable, and trying to learn some new skills, seeing that I might be on the bench quite soon. What I was thinking of mainly is WPF. I have already done some small samples and I quite enjoy working with it. I have also done some silverlight, but prefer WPF, although both are very similiar.

Curious to know what you guys think? Should I continue developing my WPF skills, seeing that there are quite some good jobs on the market, or should I take another completely different road, like Android development for example?

Welcome JohannM
    "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
    - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Thanks Cojak. Am always constantly reading these forums, since I wish to move to London in a year's time.

Comment

Originally posted by JohannM View Post
        Hi All,

I hope that this is the right forum to post into. I am a frequet reader of this forum and I really enjoy reading your comments and experiences but very rarely post.

So I have a large number of years experience in .NET (both C# and VB.NET), mainly websites development/ web apps/ intranet and back-end development with C#, SQL Server, ORM, HTML, Javascript etc.

Lately I was thinking to make myself more marketable, and trying to learn some new skills, seeing that I might be on the bench quite soon. What I was thinking of mainly is WPF. I have already done some small samples and I quite enjoy working with it. I have also done some silverlight, but prefer WPF, although both are very similiar.

Curious to know what you guys think? Should I continue developing my WPF skills, seeing that there are quite some good jobs on the market, or should I take another completely different road, like Android development for example?
        I would be more inclined to learn the new stuff coming out with Windows 8 like WinRT.

Comment

Yes you are right, WinRT is something I have to look into, and the new Metro Style Apps for Win 8

Comment

Originally posted by JohannM View Post
            Yes you are right, WinRT is something I have to look into, and the new Metro Style Apps for Win 8
            I imagine metro apps will be as much as a success as Windows 7 gadgets. Personally id focus on learning how to code iphone or android apps. Windows 8 is the new Vista I suspect.

Comment

Working...
            X