• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Ex-employer paid me ths month

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ex-employer paid me ths month

I left permiedom at the end of last month....today I got my October payslip...

I guess I have to pay them back...

Do I tell them the error of their ways as I'd like to contract for them in the future or keep quiet and hope they don't find out?
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic

Be careful about that one.

Many years ago I left a job on shortish notice on an internal transfer. The old branch sent the forms off to the tax and social saying I'd worked for the extra month. even though they didn't pay me for it.

Cue nasty demands for tax and social on money I never saw.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

Originally posted by TraceRacing View Post

Do I tell them the error of their ways as I'd like to contract for them in the future or keep quiet and hope they don't find out?
      I'd just assume it's some sort of pro-rated performance bonus and see what happens next month. If anyone asks just say you didn't really notice that amount of money in your account.
      Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

Is this not the month in hand?

Comment

I'd just assume it's some sort of pro-rated performance bonus and see what happens next month. If anyone asks just say you didn't really notice that amount of money in your account.
          Guy Fawkes - "The last man to enter Parliament with honourable intentions."

Comment

You're just an employee. If they paid you it, you must be owed it, right?

Comment

When I finally made the jump from permie to contracting, my last permie company continued to pay my pension contributions for 11 months.

I noticed after 3 months as I wanted to move my pension into a SIPP, so it took them 8 months to sort out, with me continually phoning and emailing their finance guy.

Comment

you actually have the cash as well? ...
                "Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny. "

Thomas Jefferson

Comment

Ignorance is not a defense in the eyes of HMRC and the law.

Ring you ex-employer up and sort it out. It will be a lot messier later if you get found out.
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

I got paid for three months after I left.

I did have a three month notice period though and I left permiedom with mutual agreement from the company.

Meant I was bound to get paid from themselves while enjoying the contract money at the same time.

Very, very happy days - paid for the car

Comment

Working...
                    X