• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Cloud gaming

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cloud gaming

I laughed when I first heard about this but it looks to be up and running, very slick too.

OnLive demonstration video with gameplay - YouTube

www.onlive.co.uk/play-video-games-free

Anyone using this service?
    Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

If it ain't broke...

I've heard of it but not looked at it in depth.

IMHO, the existing model of purchasing a console and games up front isn't broke so I can't really see any real benefit to this service.

For example, you can currently get an XBox 360 for £120 which is peanuts.

Nowadays, big game releases are available as pre-orders for reasonable prices of £30 - £35 and you can re-coup at least £20 by selling it on after a few months play.

If you are an occasional gamer like me and can wait a few months for the price of new releases to drop then the overall cost really isn't expensive.

Plus you own a modern console which is a core part of a lot of peoples entertainment systems as, depending on the console, they can play Blu-Rays, DVD's, MP3's, stream TV, browse the internet etc.

Sorry, but I just can't see people giving up their consoles to embrace on-demand gaming.

Comment

Originally posted by Clippy View Post
      I've heard of it but not looked at it in depth.

IMHO, the existing model of purchasing a console and games up front isn't broke so I can't really see any real benefit to this service.

For example, you can currently get an XBox 360 for £120 which is peanuts.

Nowadays, big game releases are available as pre-orders for reasonable prices of £30 - £35 and you can re-coup at least £20 by selling it on after a few months play.

If you are an occasional gamer like me and can wait a few months for the price of new releases to drop then the overall cost really isn't expensive.

Plus you own a modern console which is a core part of a lot of peoples entertainment systems as, depending on the console, they can play Blu-Rays, DVD's, MP3's, stream TV, browse the internet etc.

Sorry, but I just can't see people giving up their consoles to embrace on-demand gaming.
      The business model in the industry is changing. £30-£50 for a new game every month is seen as expensive for most people nowadays. Look at the sales of games in HMV etc for evidence.

The new model is cheap games and revenue through micro-transactions. You might be able to get the next version of The Sims for £5, but every time you want a new sofa or baseball cap for your character that'll be 50p.
      "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by Freamon View Post
        The business model in the industry is changing. £30-£50 for a new game every month is seen as expensive for most people nowadays. Look at the sales of games in HMV etc for evidence.

The new model is cheap games and revenue through micro-transactions. You might be able to get the next version of The Sims for £5, but every time you want a new sofa or baseball cap for your character that'll be 50p.
        I'm probably opening myself up for abuse here but...

...the time I have to play games is limited therefore it takes me longer than a month to complete a game. CM bought me a PS3 for Xmas last year with Gran Turismo 3. I've bought other games but GT3 is the only one I play.

If you don't own a console and can't afford a spammed-up PC then I can see a market for it.

Latency might be an issue though...

All we need now is for SLordAlan to slap an Amstrad badge on it and it'll be a guaranteed flop - videophone, anyone?

Comment

This sort of thing leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, I remember when BF2BC was about to be released and the way they deliberately hobbled some of the guns just so you could buy them later. I don't mind DL content if it was an obvious expansion to prolong the life of an established game but selling add-ons a month after release seems like a bit of a cheap trick to me.

I'm not sure I agree with Clippy (though I haven't tried it) as I can see this being extremely attractive to casual gamers with a subscription and unlimited play on a large catalogue, the only way I see the likes of Steam and Xbox marketplace competing is if they sort out the pricing on DL games as IMO they need to be at least half retail price to allow for resale value.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            I'm probably opening myself up for abuse here but...

...the time I have to play games is limited therefore it takes me longer than a month to complete a game. CM bought me a PS3 for Xmas last year with Gran Turismo 3. I've bought other games but GT3 is the only one I play.

If you don't own a console and can't afford a spammed-up PC then I can see a market for it.

Latency might be an issue though.

All we need now is for SLordAlan to slap an Amstrad badge on it and it'll be a guaranteed flop - videophone, anyone?
            That's what made me think it would never happen but it seems to be ok from what I've read so far, I'm going to give it a go on a few demos over the weekend to see for myself.

Comment

How do they manage to replicate a console or mid-range PC at the other end, or is the graphics quality not comparable?
              Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
              Feist - I Feel It All
              Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
                This sort of thing leaves a nasty taste in my mouth, I remember when BF2BC was about to be released and the way they deliberately hobbled some of the guns just so you could buy them later. I don't mind DL content if it was an obvious expansion to prolong the life of an established game but selling add-ons a month after release seems like a bit of a cheap trick to me.

I'm not sure I agree with Clippy (though I haven't tried it) as I can see this being extremely attractive to casual gamers with a subscription and unlimited play on a large catalogue, the only way I see the likes of Steam and Xbox marketplace competing is if they sort out the pricing on DL games as IMO they need to be at least half retail price to allow for resale value.
                Some games on Steam are pretty cheap, from what I hear.

There's quite a few ways this can work for games, add-ons is only one, and is seen as only really viable in a multiplayer environment:

Five ways micro-transactions will shake up iPhone gaming | iPhone | Pocket Gamer
                "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                  How do they manage to replicate a console or mid-range PC at the other end, or is the graphics quality not comparable?
                  I've got a feeling they use a similar technology to that of DisplayLink.

Comment

Originally posted by PAH View Post
                    Have a look on youtube, lots of clips with side by side comparisons.

It looks impressive buy my experience of traditional online gaming varies wildly depending on where the game is hosted, never had a problem with a UK host P2P or dedicated so this should be good if they host in the UK.

Comment

Working...
                    X