PDA

View Full Version : EU goes begging to China, cap in hand ...

sasguru
28th October 2011, 08:27
Maybe the Chinese will provide some aid to the poor Europeans

BBC News - Eurozone seeks bailout funds from China (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15489202)

If we need some I guess we can take our begging bowl to India, the country we pillaged and impoverished over centuries?

PAH
28th October 2011, 08:42
He would present the fund's bonds as a potential commercial investment to China, he said, adding that Beijing regularly needed to find safe investments for its trade surpluses.

So they'll be using the same rating agency that rated sub-prime mortgages as AAA to help sell their proposition. :laugh

If I was China I'd be offering to buy Europe and lease it back to them, with a clause that all future furnishings must come from my shop.

OwlHoot
28th October 2011, 08:53

BBC News - Eurozone seeks bailout funds from China (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-15489202)

If we need some I guess we can take our begging bowl to India, the country we pillaged and impoverished over centuries?

"cap in hand", "pillaged India". The cliches are coming thick and fast today.

We didn't pillage India for centuries - We rescued them from centuries of oppression and conflict by the Mughals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughal_Empire), as their present prosperous and democratic state attests.

HTH

BrilloPad
28th October 2011, 08:53
Maybe we can apply to their overseas aid budget for a handout to help our impoverished chavs?

Actually they don't need it - they managed to update from Reebok to Nike during the recent riots.

sasguru
28th October 2011, 09:44
We didn't pillage India for centuries - We rescued them from centuries of oppression and conflict by the Mughals (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mughal_Empire), as their present prosperous and democratic state attests.

HTH

Utter nonsense. While the mughals were no saints, they were as nothing compared to the Raj.
Indian GDP as a share of world GDP was about 3% in 1947 as opposed to 25% in the 17th century (taking the landmass of the indian subcontinent as an entity).
Their recent prosperity is entirely due to their own efforts in expanding the puny higher educational system left by the Raj - didn't want the natives getting too uppity you see.
In his recent empire book, Paxman makes the interesting observation that Empire made us lazy - compare us with the German's who didn't have one e.g.

BrilloPad
28th October 2011, 09:46
In his recent empire book, Paxman makes the interesting observation that Empire made us lazy - compare us with the German's who didn't have one e.g.

Have the Italians been lazy since the fall of the Roman Empire?

sasguru
28th October 2011, 09:51
Have the Italians been lazy since the fall of the Roman Empire?

Indeed they have. And they live with their mums.

BrilloPad
28th October 2011, 09:59

Which is the fate of us for the next 1600 years then?

Time to head to a decent country then. Prefrably one in Asia.

gingerjedi
28th October 2011, 10:02

Mama's special meatball sauce, it tastes so good.

BrilloPad
28th October 2011, 10:16
Mama's special meatball sauce, it tastes so good.

Its just Dolmolio.

wobbegong
28th October 2011, 10:23
Its just Dolmolio.

Does that taste like Dolmio?

:tongue

BrilloPad
28th October 2011, 10:25
Does that taste like Dolmio?

:tongue

:cry1:

Paddy
29th October 2011, 11:33

I thought communism didn’t work. :confused:

wim121
29th October 2011, 14:47
I thought communism didn’t work. :confused:
It works, too well in fact.

That is why, the west has tried to destroy communism so they can remain global superpowers.

Jeff Maginty
29th October 2011, 15:59
So the EU goes begging to China eh?

I hope China tells them to fook off!

Doggy Styles
29th October 2011, 16:53

I hope China tells them to fook off!And then what?

Jeff Maginty
29th October 2011, 18:15
And then what?

Who cares! Let the EU reap what it sowed. If they have to suffer years of austerity then so be it.

The people who are starving to death in Africa due to events that are beyond their control (drought, failed crops) are far more deserving of sympathy than the stupid greedy europeans who lived beyond their means for far too long.

wim121
29th October 2011, 19:42
The people who are starving to death in Africa due to events that are beyond their control (drought, failed crops) are far more deserving of sympathy than the stupid greedy europeans who lived beyond their means for far too long.

Why are Africans deserving of sympathy?

Life is far different than the media portray FYI ...

MarillionFan
29th October 2011, 19:48

I hope China tells them to Fook Off!

Isn't he the Minister for the Interior????

wim121
29th October 2011, 20:11
Isn't he the Minister for the Interior????

Nope, he's the head of the State Health Department, Dr. Fook Hlui (sounds like you) ....

DodgyAgent
29th October 2011, 20:14
Who cares! Let the EU reap what it sowed. If they have to suffer years of austerity then so be it.

Drought and poverty are caused by governments not by climate

Doggy Styles
30th October 2011, 09:05

The people who are starving to death in Africa due to events that are beyond their control (drought, failed crops) are far more deserving of sympathy than the stupid greedy europeans who lived beyond their means for far too long.Africa has got nothing to do with it.

Your solution for Europe is fairly clueless. If you'd ever managed any kind of project, like doing the washing up, you'd know that UK leaving the EU is more than just a case of "Here's my resignation". :wink :D

MarillionFan
30th October 2011, 09:21
Africa has got nothing to do with it.

Your solution for Europe is fairly clueless. If you'd ever managed any kind of project, like doing the washing up, you'd know that UK leaving the EU is more than just a case of "Here's my resignation". :wink :D

Anyway. No need to worry about Africa. Suity is heading down there to save them. :rolleyes:

sasguru
30th October 2011, 09:22
Anyway looks like the Chinese don't see Europe as a good bet since they've told them to fook orf and stop being so feckless. :laugh:laugh

vetran
30th October 2011, 14:28
The Chinese have already bought most of Africa's mineral wealth with the money we sent them to buy dangerous sofas and consumer goods made with dirty power + cheap labour because its too expensive to make here. Because we have to pay green taxes, and observe health & safety, use green energy and pay half our wages out so anyone not working can live in comfort.

The Billions of pounds we sent the Africans as aid has been spent on BMW's and Boeing executive jets, at least in the days of the RAJ they bought Rolls Royces & De Havillands.

India was a feudal society with hereditary empires or those by dint of conquest a bit like Japan, China and Africa. The benefit of the Raj going there was to spread Democracy ,Christian laws and morals.

I doubt very much it was all rosy and fair before we got there, most people lived or died on the whim of the nearest lord just like the UK in the middle ages. Just like central Africa now, where despite the UK, US,France, Germany etc buying their people in massive numbers from the local lord we didn't establish any real outposts and look what a basket case they are now.

If we hadn't gone to India and outer Africa and abolished slavery , feudalism and dictatorial monarchies they would probably have joined Japan in WWII and wiped most of us off the face of the earth. Many of the other dictatorships & monarchies were on the AXIS side or Neutral waiting to pick over the leavings.

I think the ordinary Indian folk in hindsight probably appreciate the input of the RAJ more than the lefties do. Much like we appreciate the Magna Carta which was a law written for rich people that inadvertently set poor people free something good done for a bad reason.

Comparing trade in pre world war and pre industrial revolution international trading with post two world wars when most merchant ships had been blown up and there was no money left seems statistically ridiculous but you cling to it if you wish. What precisely did India sell before then? (Precious metals, stones dug over millenia, Cloth & silks for the rich)

http://www.iisg.nl/hpw/papers/broadberry-gupta.pdf

We were also were occupying India therefore we didn't buy off them they sent raw materials as a fee for occupation (pretty traditional behaviour throughout history) - a bit like Africa and Europe will be when China own us. But truthfully the Indian economy was killed by James Watt & Arkwright. Just the opposite of the UK IT industry being killed By Tata & Wipro taking advantage of cheap labour.

What is interesting is what they did after we left. What did it produce afterwards? (Raw cotton & food) Until the 80's when they started selling their cheap labour.

File:Per capita GDP of South Asian economies & SKorea (1950-1995).png - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Per_capita_GDP_of_South_Asian_economies_%26_S Korea_(1950-1995).png)

I would imagine the Chinese will wait for the yard sale and pick up what they want cheaply. They aren't stupid.