• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Complicated phone question and trying to avoid mixing personal use

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Complicated phone question and trying to avoid mixing personal use

Hi All,

I'm in a situation where I do have a personal mobile phone which is what I used as a permie, thats what all the agents etc have, now being a contractor I have to do on-call and sometimes call my clients who are also based in the states. My contract requires me to do oncall, work from home when I'm convering etc.

I really dont want to take out another contract in the companies name, which is the right thing to do, I also need a phone with internet access so that I can access gig emails, i.e when there is a problem etc.

I also need a landline, as I figured out its cheaper to call abroad on that, in some cases even free that using a mobile.
    I also need a broadband for VPN, which is used for company related stuff all the time.

Now, with mobile can I put this as company expense, as all I have to do is just change the DD. Dont really want to go through the hassle or applying for a new contract, new number etc. MY current number, I dont know who has it, and changing it may be a problem.

Land line which I dont use, but need it for brandband is also on my name, can this be shifted to company as well.

What are the rules on furnishing a home/office arrangement ?

Thanks in advance.

You can have a contract in the company name for the mobile with no BIK to pay. You'll have to get a new contract though, you can't just transfer the DD as it won't be in the company name therefore there will be a BIK to pay on having the phone. Which would be the same as you paying it so no benefit to doing it that way.

You can claim for a percentage of the land line and broadband but still have to pay for them personally. If they're a 100% business use you could pay for them through the business but as its in your own personal home you'd have to be pretty convincing as to how you never used it personally and I'm sure that argument wouldn't fly. Especially if you had it before you became a contractor.

Comment

I have a personal phone which I use for all emails, personal and business I do not claim anything for this as its no extra cost having the work emails on there.

I also have a cheap PAYG phone which I use just for work, every time I am looking for a new contract I get a new SIM card and give that number to agents, when I find a gig I throw away the phone so no agents can call me anymore
      Originally posted by Stevie Wonder Boy
      I can't see any way to do it can you please advise?

I want my account deleted and all of my information removed, I want to invoke my right to be forgotten.

Comment

Originally posted by SimonMac View Post
        I also have a cheap PAYG phone which I use just for work, every time I am looking for a new contract I get a new SIM card and give that number to agents, when I find a gig I throw away the phone so no agents can call me anymore
        I use a free YAC number for that purpose. Can re-direct it to any phone or straight to voicemail which will then email you a .wav file... Much easier than messing about with extra phones/SIM cards..

plus the agents have to pay 40p+ a minute to talk to you...

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post
          Hi All,

I'm in a situation where I do have a personal mobile phone which is what I used as a permie, thats what all the agents etc have, now being a contractor I have to do on-call and sometimes call my clients who are also based in the states. My contract requires me to do oncall, work from home when I'm convering etc.
          Depending on the network you are on they may allow you to transfer the phone to the company's name and then you can pay it from the company bank account. It's worth asking the network you are with.

However if you look under HMRC guidance a PDA i.e. iPhone, Blackberry isn't the same as a mobile phone. Therefore you are allowed a cr*ppy mobile and a pda through the company. So there is nothing stopping you getting a basic model in the company's name and using that for your expensive calls.

BTW I found that it was cheaper for me to call Europe on my O2 contract in the day than my landline. Then I changed networks and landline phone company's................
          "You’re just a bad memory who doesn’t know when to go away" JR

Comment

Originally posted by Sockpuppet View Post

You can claim for a percentage of the land line and broadband but still have to pay for them personally. If they're a 100% business use you could pay for them through the business but as its in your own personal home you'd have to be pretty convincing as to how you never used it personally and I'm sure that argument wouldn't fly. Especially if you had it before you became a contractor.
            HMRC allow employees some personal use of mobiles, landlines and broadband provided for them by their employers.

So there is nothing stopping you getting these all in the business name. In fact I've found and so have a few other people I know who are contractors/freelance/self-employed that business broadband packages are more reliable.

However you would need to keep your existing landline if you get another one, even if the new one is bundled in with the business broadband. Also if there are other internet junkies in your house it would help if you lived in a cable area as you could get a cheap sh*tty package via your BT line and another business package via cable. This avoids it looking like you are taking the p*ss.

Comment

Originally posted by platforminc View Post

What are the rules on furnishing a home/office arrangement ?
              What do you want to furnish it with?

If everything is exclusively for the business then you pay for it via the business.

Comment

Working...
              X