• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Your home town

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Your home town

I was just reading the history of the town I grew up in and it struck me that I have no affinity for the place. It wasn't the best place to be then and certainly isn't now yet people I know appear to have some pride that they live there still.

What about your own home towns? Still live there, get teary eye thinking about the place or would you rather the bulldozers moved in?
    Me, me, me...

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
    I was just reading the history of the town I grew up in and it struck me that I have no affinity for the place. It wasn't the best place to be then and certainly isn't now yet people I know appear to have some pride that they live there still.

What about your own home towns? Still live there, get teary eye thinking about the place or would you rather the bulldozers moved in?
    Fairly indifferent to mine to be honest. Couldn't live there, feck all jobs, but certainly don't feel that it should be bulldozed!
    Coffee's for closers

Comment

When I read this CH, I was reminded of a programme, yonks ago, by Edwina Curry. working with dustmen, I think

where she said that for 30 years she had been ashamed of her background, but now she had come to terms with it

sort of what you are saying in reverse really.

I can feel a monty python sketch coming on
      (\__/)
      (>'.'<)
      ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Spacecadet View Post
        Fairly indifferent to mine to be honest. Couldn't live there, feck all jobs, but certainly don't feel that it should be bulldozed!
        I agree with the above. Well you occasionally get jobs there, but the problem is it's a town. I can live in cities, and can see the appeal of a village, but I find towns are an unhappy compromise.
        Speaking gibberish on internet talkboards since last Michaelmas. Plus here on Twitter

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          Thats how I feel about the whole country. Its just where I am now, it has nothing to do with me.

Comment

It's a crime ridden tuliphole in the most - and the people speak funny, leading me to speak funny - bastids.

Comment

Home is where the heart is.

My family moved around quite a bit when I was young and I feel no particular affinity with any of the places we lived.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                Home is where the heart is.

My family moved around quite a bit when I was young and I feel no particular affinity with any of the places we lived.
                WHS. Not really got somewhere I think I belong.

Comment

I've moved around a helluva lot over the years. Especially in my 20's early 30's.

Home town - tulipe.

Bath is the nicest area I've lived. Mixture of city/town/village/countryside all rolled into one.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by escapeUK View Post
                    Thats how I feel about the whole country. Its just where I am now, it has nothing to do with me.
                    Why don't you fook off then, and spare us your whinging.
                    Hard Brexit now!
                    #prayfornodeal

Comment

Working...
                    X