• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Property buying - buyers market my asre - more like a wate of my time

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Property buying - buyers market my asre - more like a wate of my time

As someone who is selling and buying (I wanted to go into rented for a little while but she who should be obeyed wasn't having any of it) am finding these "market adjustments" a complete pain in the 'arris.

Now, I'm all for the market adjusting so first time buyer age isn't approaching 40, so we had our houe valued at almost 20% less than we (almost) sold it for in 2008. We have made some improvements such as 20' x 20' garage/workshop, recarpeted and decorated about 18 months ago keeping a few staff at laura ashley employed I think - but that's not my area. 3 hours later, that evening, we sold it. Must just be right place, right time - A son of someone who lives on the road who wants the house, and a sensible price. We snatched their hand off and they seemed happy.

Now the problem we face is the unrealistic sellers.

One house we liked, which has been on the market over 2 years and not reduced at all in that time, is not budging on price after we put an offer in 25K under asking. A very generous offer in my book.

The other one we liked, an inheritance house, is on for 20K more than one two doors away sold for last month and 35K more than next door sold for last month. Sounded out the agent and they're instructed that they'll only consider offers of <10K under asking. Looks like it's a waiting game, with a market made up of a spectrum of overpriced to sensibly priced houses - it makes life quite hard as a buyer.

So, why aren't the agents chucking out they over priced stuff so they can concentrate on the stuff that sells?

Originally posted by conned tractor View Post
    So, why aren't the agents chucking out they over priced stuff so they can concentrate on the stuff that sells?
    They need something to put in the shop window.

If they can get an "exclusive" deal with the vendor then wait until they see sense or the market bounces back they get their commission and they are happy.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Go and buy at Auction then.

Next two auctions coming up.

I'm just doing some analysis on whether I'm going to go back into BTL.

Property Auctions UK London Nationwide - Barnard Marcus Auctions

Properties for sale in All Areas - Romans Estate Agents
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
        Go and buy at Auction then.

Next two auctions coming up.

Property Auctions UK London Nationwide - Barnard Marcus Auctions

Properties for sale in All Areas - Romans Estate Agents
        Yep, good call. Will have a nose. Can you get sold price data on previous auctions or is land registry the only data available (via zoopla, pb, etc.).

Comment

Ive been looking closely at the market, and its clear there are a lot of properties where the owners dont need to sell. No price decreases in 2 years. Others are knocked down £10k a month until they go.

I learnt at the beginning of the year that my ex will be going bankrupt to the tune of a million pounds all through BTL. How I laughed.

Comment

Yep, good call. Will have a nose. Can you get sold price data on previous auctions or is land registry the only data available (via zoopla, pb, etc.).
            Property Auction Search Results everywhere | EIG Property Auctions

These guys seem to host most of the auction images/catalogue entries. You have to subscribe (which I don't) I tend to use it to find a property and then Google the description to find the auctioneer as they anonymise it. Some auctioneers will update the catalogue with the sell prices, others won't. But you can also use 192.com or Houseprices.co.uk to check the price it sold for and when it last sold.

eg.

london House Prices and Property Information From Houseprices.co.uk

Oh and also this one is cool

http://www.propertysnake.co.uk/

This tracks the price over time so you can see who is dropping their asking prices.
            What happens in General, stays in General.
            You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
              Oh and also this one is cool

property snake -- home -- find falling house prices in your area

This tracks the price over time so you can see who is dropping their asking prices.
              You'd be better off with property bee, its a little add on for Firefox that tracks prices of the properties you are interested in.

Property-bee.com - Home

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                They need something to put in the shop window.
                WHS

They have something you want, if you're no prepared to pay for it you don't really want it. Move on.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
                  WHS

They have something you want, if you're no prepared to pay for it you don't really want it. Move on.
                  I want it. They want to sell it.

I have a price I want to pay for it - I've offered 17.5K over what next door sold for as we like it - even though it needs gutting.

They have a price they want to sell it for.

They are not the same, therefore, yes, I'll buy someone elses house.

No sale - maybe I should rent for 6 months and offer them less after this time. Unless of course some twunt pays the 35K more than next door sold for last month - but if they do, good luck to them.

Auction houses here I come.

Thanks.

Comment

What for you won't go by you.
                    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
                    X