• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Breaking and entering

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking and entering

We don't have any of these types of locks, but I never realised just how little security they offer:

"A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Yep, a neighbour with all new double glazing including "high security" PVC doors got burgled in a similar way about 20 years ago.

The burglars simply used a hammer and punch on the lock.
    Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

OOOer. Maybe I'll add some grotty old fashioned padlocks to our "high security" doors.

PS Not sure I entirely believe those 1st two as it seems that keys are being used to prise out or push in the locks. Would they normally be strong enough?
      Last edited by xoggoth; 30 October 2011, 11:49.
      bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
      John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A Chubb and a cylinder lock here. The doctor in the house gets uppity when the Chubb isn't kept locked and has put up a notice up saying the cylinder lock alone isn't enough. He's away for weeks at a time on holiday (every other week), so feels safer for it.

Comment

I had Chubb locks on my house when the burglars got in.

The door jamb on the porch door was no match for a jemmy or crowbar, and the cleaner had left the much stouter inner door unlocked.

She probably did me a favour there, since once inside the porch they could have taken their time with the inner door.

A couple of years later I met a bloke who lived in a big house with private drive. He'd fortified his door so they used a JCB on it.

If a pro really wants to get in, they will.
          Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

On security related theme my gym, which has just changed hands for the third time in as many years, has introduced fingerprint controlled entry. Seems a bit Stalinesque to me. Fortunately, they haven't got it to work with my fingers yet.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
              On security related theme my gym, which has just changed hands for the third time in as many years, has introduced fingerprint controlled entry. Seems a bit Stalinesque to me. Fortunately, they haven't got it to work with my fingers yet.
              A while ago, someone had the bright idea of inventing fingerprint authentication for cash machines. Can't remember which country this was in. Not too soon after, the number of people turning up to hospital with missing fingers shot up. I don't think the system is still in use.
              "A life, Jimmy, you know what that is? It’s the s*** that happens while you’re waiting for moments that never come." -- Lester Freamon

Comment

Originally posted by xoggoth View Post
                PS Not sure I entirely believe those 1st two as it seems that keys are being used to prise out or push in the locks. Would they normally be strong enough?
                In the first instance they force a screw into the lock and then yank the lock out, which snaps the barrel in two. Apparently this technique is now used in around 80% of burglaries.

The second one is actually more scary - lock bumping. It looks like this allows any pin/tumbler lock to be opened by making a filed down version of the key and bouncing the pins upwards whilst applying gentle rotational force. Here's how it works:

Comment

I've got Kaba locks. Apparently they're immune to lock bumping.
                  Down with racism. Long live miscegenation!

Comment

But the video doesn't explain what to do with the 2 rottweilers waiting on the other side of the door

Comment

Working...
                    X