• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Telco or Finance?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Telco or Finance?

Hi,

I have been offered two jobs - one in finance and one in telco.

the finance one is a testing role paying 29k working for a small trading applications software house in Essex working on testing a product that trades front office equities, FX, fixed income and derivatives. I will gain product knowledge from this job.

the telco is with a large telco company called convergys paying 35k in cambridge working on geneva billing systems. I will build more telco experience in this job. They say you can earn 500/day with geneva experience. not sure if this is true.

the telco one is payin a helluva of alot more money to me. But I thought finance paid more in general? To me its a choice between which industry to invest in. I still think I;d earn more money in finance in the long run? What do you guys say?

finance is notoriously difficult to get into... it can't hurt to have the experience on your CV.

don't suppose the company is IFDS is it?
    "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

Hmmm... Cambridge is a lovely, but expensive place to live, for one thing... accomodation (if you were indeed intending to reside there) would be a tough one...

Im going permie with a finance house, and one of the attractions is the experience I will gain, of the industry and the technologies involved.... its the first time Ive encountered a finance role that looks at development experience first and does not insist on prior experience in Investment Banking / Asset Management etc....

Telcos may well take see a boost in the next couple of years - who knows... 3G and its successor, I am not really au fait with the skills and rates required.(Im just a user, not someone who has industry knowledge).

Personally Im taking a pay cut (headline figure) of about £5k a year - but I think the additional industry specific knowledge will more than offset that in time.
      Vieze Oude Man

Comment

Personally I thought this board was call Contractor UK and nor Permanent UK
        Brexit is having a wee in the middle of the room at a house party because nobody is talking to you, and then complaining about the smell.

Comment

Go for Finance, Telecoms is all about 10% faster and 10% cheaper than last year, and most of the gits in it can't even set their mobile phones up properly, never mind anything more complex.
          Insanity: repeating the same actions, but expecting different results.
          threadeds website, and here's my blog.

Comment

Originally posted by threaded
            Telecoms is all about 10% faster and 10% cheaper than last year, and most of the gits in it can't even set their mobile phones up properly, never mind anything more complex.
            hmm sounds like finance...

(I was about to say the opposite)
            I'm alright Jack

Comment

No brainer. He he I walked into a financial software house at the age of 20 as a trainee. Here I am now, 8 years later, investment banking it up in the City, excesses of cash in bank, fit missus, great skill-set, two homes, a full wine rack, oh the life of a contracter.

Comment

Finance, no question. The telcos are populated by ex-BT people who can't tell their arse from their elbow.

Comment

Permy squatters

Personally I thought this board was call Contractor UK and nor Permanent UK
                  Ive noticed a few permies squatting in our BB , lets get the Daleks in to evict them .........Oh no that wont work .... Wheres gunney ?

Comment

If you wanna lap up the '£600/day+' goodies - it seems to be more prevalent in Finance.

I'd love to get my foot in.............

Sadly, no experience so never get a look in! All the stuff on my CV is public sector or Telco.

Comment

Working...
                    X