• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Starting up a new venture - advice please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting up a new venture - advice please

Hi, To cut a long story short - I've been employed in the print trade since leaving school but for personal reasons I decided to have a total change of direction, after much deliberation I finally plucked up the courage, sold the shares in the company I'd built up and just finished a hand over period to the new owners - I've now finished work.

I'm looking to start working for myself in some way - maybe as a self employed odd job man, gardener, I've looked into doing a locksmith's course, I don't need to earn lots, just a bit of pin money and keep myself busy in the process. I love being outdoors, I don't mind doing anything, I'm very handy, meticulous and thorough.

If I was to look at buying a van, starting up as an odd job man, what advice could anyone give me to get started? I'm aware of the rules regarding registering with the HMRC with regard to being self employed etc, that all seems simple enough and I already have an accountant that I use, I just need to know whether to have a separate bank account, keeping records, cheques, cash, invoices to customers, cost rates, do I own and run the van in my name, insurance etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Originally posted by peedoff View Post
    Hi, To cut a long story short - I've been employed in the print trade since leaving school but for personal reasons I decided to have a total change of direction, after much deliberation I finally plucked up the courage, sold the shares in the company I'd built up and just finished a hand over period to the new owners - I've now finished work.

I'm looking to start working for myself in some way - maybe as a self employed odd job man, gardener, I've looked into doing a locksmith's course, I don't need to earn lots, just a bit of pin money and keep myself busy in the process. I love being outdoors, I don't mind doing anything, I'm very handy, meticulous and thorough.

If I was to look at buying a van, starting up as an odd job man, what advice could anyone give me to get started? I'm aware of the rules regarding registering with the HMRC with regard to being self employed etc, that all seems simple enough and I already have an accountant that I use, I just need to know whether to have a separate bank account, keeping records, cheques, cash, invoices to customers, cost rates, do I own and run the van in my name, insurance etc?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    I am intrigued by how so many people when starting up a business think first of all the admin when the most important dynamic in a business is where the sales come from and how will the business be profitable. Do a business plan and send it someone like a banker. THEN if things stack up start worrying about accountants, admin etc. All you need if you are a van man is a phone and to make some contacts.
    Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Last time I needed a lock changed in a hurry (because of a break in), I was charged £136. So there's some pin money

Can't get a roof tiler, house painters, gardeners, electric gate fixers or similar cos they're all too busy...
      Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
        All you need if you are a van man is a phone and to make some contacts.
        And a website of course
        Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
          And a website of course
          You would say that
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Originally posted by DodgyAgent View Post
            You would say that
            Hey Dodgy, get some tradesmen on your books who can actually do the job (with references of course), UK wide - what an opportunity!
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Hey Dodgy, get some tradesmen on your books who can actually do the job (with references of course), UK wide - what an opportunity!
              Ring ring.

Hello Dodgyesk Agentski here? You want Polish worker? How Many?
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                Ring ring.

Hello Dodgyesk Agentski here? You want Polish worker? How Many?
                Had the house redecorated earlier in the year. Only people who responded to calls and turned up were two Polish guys. Three days to do the whole house, day one was spent preparing and masking the other two days painting.

Outstanding job and cost what I was quoted just for materials by local guys (probably on the dole and chancing it).

I would recommend these guys without a doubt.
                Me, me, me...

Comment

Had the house redecorated earlier in the year. Only people who responded to calls and turned up were two Polish guys. Three days to do the whole house, day one was spent preparing and masking the other two days painting.

Outstanding job and cost what I was quoted just for materials by local guys (probably on the dole and chancing it).

I would recommend these guys without a doubt.
                  Have you noticed over the last few years how carparks are now full of people to wash your car. I don't think I've ever seen an British person doing that job. They're always foreign. Mostly Polish.

The British have lost their work ethic.
                  What happens in General, stays in General.
                  You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Have you noticed over the last few years how carparks are now full of people to wash your car. I don't think I've ever seen an British person doing that job. They're always foreign. Mostly Polish.

The British have lost their work ethic.
                    Fckers here don't want to work end of.
                    Me, me, me...

Comment

Working...
                    X