• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Village Do Tonight

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Village Do Tonight

Was guest of local epicurean society tonight at their Pudding Club evening at local pub.

To cut a long story short, they had a cabinet pudding going spare so it was decided to auction it and give the proceeds to charity.

Were about 30 of us there and there were quite a few modest bids until the stakes were raised and there were just a few serious players left.

Ended up being just me and this bloke who thinks he's a big hitter. His bid was £300 and he tried staring me out but no way was I going to blink. Raised him another 100 and he folded.

Result! No way I was going to have anyone thinking he's got more money than me. Have probably climbed a couple of rings on the social ladder too!

Excellent, although I'd have chickened out at 99p personally. Some bloke collecting for the poppy appeal this evening and the missus put over a quid in the tin. Bloody ripoff, I checked the poppy afterwards and I doubt it cost even a tenth of a penny to make, I had a right go at her for wasting our money.
    Last edited by xoggoth; 30 October 2011, 22:14.
    bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
    John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
      Result! No way I was going to have anyone thinking he's got more money than me. Have probably climbed a cou]ple of rings on the social ladder too!
      The phrase "A fool and his money" springs to mind.

Expect prices for any work on your house to have jumped overnight.
      Behold the warranty -- the bold print giveth and the fine print taketh away.

Comment

I hope you gift aided your donation.

Comment

Working...
        X