• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Do You Frequent a Local?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do You Frequent a Local?

It would appear that the current trend is for people to stay in and drink at home while many pubs are either closing, becoming gastro pubs or, worse still, Indian restaurants.

How many of you are regulars at a pub in which you are there for the sole purpose of drinking and engaging in a bit of badinage with your crew around the bar?

I was thinking that the closure of my local would leave a huge hole in my life. What I love about the pub is the fact that it's a great leveller; a place where The Lord of the Manor can talk to his dustman as an equal over a pint.

This is something which manifested itself the other night when I was talking to a chap who probably earns in a year what I earn in a week. This disparity in our relative material wealth brought to bear no sense of deference from him towards me. We spoke as equals and he listened to my views on everything from Pre Raphaelite art to the art of the backward game in backgammon. The fact that he agreed with every word I said is by the by. Two people were brought together by their mutual love of that den of bonhomie that is the Great British pub.

And long may it continue.

I hope he mugs you and kicks your teeth in.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
      Why would he want to do that?

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
        Why would he want to do that?
        We ALL want to do that.......
        When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
          You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to Churchill again.
          Best Forum Advisor 2014
          Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
          Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

This post has not received any reputation. You currently have -885 reputation point(s).

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
              This post has not received any reputation. You currently have -885 reputation point(s).
              You must spread some Reputation around before negging pacharan again.

Comment

Originally posted by Pondlife View Post
                You must spread some Reputation around before negging pacharan again.
                Thankfully, I didn't
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TheFaQQer View Post
                  I've done the needful for you
                  Coffee's for closers

Comment

How the heck does pacharan manage to have a green spot next to his name, when all and sundry must have copped him the red spot?

Or do people give positive rep for good trolling?
                    Work in the public sector? Read the IR35 FAQ here

Comment

Working...
                    X