• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Classic case of asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classic case of asking Turkeys to vote for Christmas

Greece will hold a referendum on a new European Union aid package intended to resolve the country's debt crisis, Prime Minister George Papandreou says.

Last week eurozone leaders agreed on a 100bn-euro loan (£86:$140bn) to Athens and a 50% debt write-off, as part of a deal aimed tackling the euro crisis.
    But there have been large-scale protests in Greece against the austerity measures demanded by the EU.
    Analysts say a referendum could derail the wider deal on the euro debt crisis.
    The Greek rescue package is a key part of the agreement reached in the early hours of Thursday after marathon talks by eurozone leaders.
    They said banks holding Greek debt accepted a 50% loss, the eurozone bailout fund will be boosted to about 1tn euros (£880bn; $1.4tn) and banks will have to raise more capital.

BBC News - Greece debt crisis: Referendum promised on EU deal
    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

If I was a Greek voter, I'd be saying "tulip it - just get it out of the way and default tomorrow".

The outcome probably won't be any better (correction - almost certainly won't), but a short sharp shock is better than this "death from a thousand cuts".

Of course, if I was a greek pensioner or public sector worker - who in the case of a default, face a real possibility of simply not being paid at all, that might nudge me in the Yes direction.

Comment

At least they get a say....
      ...my quagmire of greed....my cesspit of laziness and unfairness....all I am doing is sticking two fingers up at nurses, doctors and other hard working employed professionals...

Comment

How's about the USA, UK and rest of Europe get together and all agree to go bankrupt over night. No more debts and start from scratch. But keep the nuclear missiles.

Comment

Originally posted by TimberWolf View Post
          But keep the nuclear missiles.
          I think the Chinese bailiffs would not allow that.
          Let us not forget EU open doors immigration benefits IT contractors more than anyone

Comment

Working...
          X