• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Advice Please

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice Please

moved to other site.
    Last edited by Denny; 25 April 2006, 23:14.

Forget it. Move on.

I got sick of the whole reference thing long ago and for years I have been telling people who ask for references one of the following depending on my mood:

(i) My most recent clients all operate "no references given" policies.
    (ii) The only people who could give a reference at my most recent clients have left and I no longer have any contact with them.
    (iii) My most recent work has been of a highly confidential nature and neither I nor any of my clients are at liberty to discuss it or even to confirm whether I was involved in the project (this one usually when there's a gap on the CV).

This has never caused a problem for anyone.

Comment

Originally posted by The Master
      Forget it. Move on.

I got sick of the whole reference thing long ago and for years I have been telling people who ask for references one of the following depending on my mood:

(i) My most recent clients all operate "no references given" policies.
      (ii) The only people who could give a reference at my most recent clients have left and I no longer have any contact with them.
      (iii) My most recent work has been of a highly confidential nature and neither I nor any of my clients are at liberty to discuss it or even to confirm whether I was involved in the project (this one usually when there's a gap on the CV).

This has never caused a problem for anyone.
      Helpful for future roles, perhaps, but I have good references and this client definitely wanted them and there was no way I would have been offered without them.

None of my private clients (direct) ever take up references, only recruiters do (or their end clients).

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
        I have good references and this client definitely wanted them and there was no way I would have been offered without them.
        Based on your narration of events, they don't seem that keen on taking them up. Forget about it. If they really wanted you as badly as you think, they would have been chasing you. The fact that you're chasing them all the time suggests they aren't nearly as keen as the agent is telling you.

Comment

Originally posted by Denny
          The agent told me the client was keen to take me on for a really good job, and asked me for references, but I accidentally sent them contact details for my previous clients as a rent boy. I've been chasing them every day to correct the situation, but the client won't respond.
          Are your rent-boy clients happy with your services?

Comment

Working...
          X