• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

"Robin Hood tax" (aka "Tobin tax")

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"Robin Hood tax" (aka "Tobin tax")

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:24.

Gets my vote.
    "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

agreed, expecially severance packages.

Yep imposing tax in buying and selling shares will not hit banker's bonuses, because that comes out of your pension or investment fund. In the end the tax will be paid by everyone who'll get a lower pension. Think of this tax as a tax on private pensions. It's not a tax on rich bankers.

Robin Hood tax is probably a misnomer, it would be basically a transfer of wealth from average earners in the private sector to average earners in the public sector.
      Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 November 2011, 09:47.
      I'm alright Jack

Comment

As it's been pointed out before this will only make London uncompetitive unless this is imposed globally which it wont.
        Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
          As it's been pointed out before this will only make London uncompetitive unless this is imposed globally which it wont.
          Au contraire mon petit fromage, what is bad for London is good for the UK. Perhaps only then government shall focus on matters of morality rather than orders from the city.

We should be more concerned with our own society rather than the world at large for a change.
          "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by scooterscot View Post
            Au contraire mon petit fromage, what is bad for London is good for the UK. Perhaps only then government shall focus on matters of morality rather than orders from the city.

We should be more concerned with our own society rather than the world at large for a change.

I never thought anyone could be more economically illiterate than AtW, but you are.

PS DO learn the difference between "shall" and "will", as well as other basic English grammar
            Hard Brexit now!
            #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by gingerjedi View Post
              That needn't be the case. If tax liability were to depend on the locations of the end users it could be made to apply whether eu institutions trade through london or elsewhere.

This 'uncompetitive' thing is just more speil from the city who want things their own way as per usual. Time we told them to shut the **** up IMO.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                That needn't be the case. If tax liability were to depend on the locations of the end users it could be made to apply whether eu institutions trade through london or elsewhere.

This 'uncompetitive' thing is just more speil from the city who want things their own way as per usual. Time we told them to shut the **** up IMO.
                I am a novice at this so explain to me.

OK the UK imposes some sort of tax on bankers and a fee on transactions.
                Would UK businesses be at a trading disadvantage?
                What is to stop the big players moving their entire trading base to a country that does not do this?
                How much money could the UK lose?
                How many jobs could go?
                Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                  Time we told them to shut the **** up IMO.
                  When you say "we" do you mean itinerant, ne-er-do-well, IT jobbers with no assets? Are you mates with the idiots at St.Pauls?
                  Smacks of envy to me.
                  Hard Brexit now!
                  #prayfornodeal

Comment

OK the UK imposes some sort of tax on bankers and a fee on transactions.

The EU imposes a tax on financial transactions Europe wide

Would UK businesses be at a trading disadvantage?

London is considered the financial capital of Europe, this will be under threat as our financial service industry is quite a large part of our GDP

What is to stop the big players moving their entire trading base to a country that does not do this?

Nothing

How much money could the UK lose?

Lots

How many jobs could go?

Lots
                    "Is someone you don't like allowed to say something you don't like? If that is the case then we have free speech."- Elon Musk

Comment

Working...
                    X