• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Time for a new British (or English) identity

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Time for a new British (or English) identity

Based on a focus on the wider world and not a long-term declining Europe, free market ideas, low taxes, a purge on large monopolies, a reformed health system (that it is the 3rd largest employer in the world tells you something), benefits dependent on community service, reintroduction of grammar schools and free university tuition (following a redesign to a more rigorous curriculum, polys revert to being themselves again).

Any others?
    Hard Brexit now!
    #prayfornodeal

Comment

I'd agree with some of that but not the idea we should have free markets as a matter of principle. I think one thing the last few years have taught us is that they don't deliver on their theoretical promises in the real world.

Certainly the health system needs reforming, I do think that we could learn from the German system there though.
      While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

very strong anti corruption laws

including 'EO's double bubble' law

where an accountant caught guilty of an accounting crime gets double
        a policeman who breaks the law whilst on duty gets double
        politicians get double
        etc

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)
        ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Yeah, low taxes, free education, more public sector, high public sector salaries, lower the retirement age.....oh hang on, why don't we just go and live in Greece instead.
          Last edited by BlasterBates; 2 November 2011, 12:24.
          I'm alright Jack

Comment

Free market ideas with proper government regulation, otherwise agree with all that.
            bloggoth

If everything isn't black and white, I say, 'Why the hell not?'
            John Wayne (My guru, not to be confused with my beloved prophet Jeremy Clarkson)

Comment

A flat tax rate of 15% FOR ALL.

Cut duties on fuel and alcohol

Get rid of th my benus that was introduced by the Trendy Wendies.

It's time to put the pub back in the centre of the community.

Comment

Originally posted by doodab View Post
                [Re free markets] I think one thing the last few years have taught us is that they don't deliver on their theoretical promises in the real world.

Tell that to the burgeoning Indian and Chinese middle classes.
                Hard Brexit now!
                #prayfornodeal

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                  Get rid of th my benus that was introduced by the Trendy Wendies.
                  Yes! Get rid of th my benus!
                  And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Last edited by Jeff Maginty; 10 June 2022, 16:21.

Comment

Working...
                    X