• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Fracking hell - earthquakes in Lancashire

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fracking hell - earthquakes in Lancashire

BBC News - Fracking tests near Blackpool 'likely cause' of tremors

Man made earthquakes - aren't we doing well?
    We don't have to save the world. The world is big enough to look after itself. What we have to be concerned about is whether or not the world we live in will be capable of sustaining us in it.
    - Douglas Adams

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
    So well, we need a machine to detect them happening...

I wonder how many of the objectors to fracking realise that (a) it's a harmless, proven technique and (b) it will release around four times as much energy as we've pulled from the North Sea at a tenth of the cost.
    Blog? What blog...?

Comment

Originally posted by malvolio View Post
      So well, we need a machine to detect them happening...

I wonder how many of the objectors to fracking realise that (a) it's a harmless, proven technique and (b) it will release around four times as much energy as we've pulled from the North Sea at a tenth of the cost.
      So harmless that it causes minor earth quakes! Considering it was a small test drilling site. Can we assume that the effects will increase in magnitude with an increase in the scale of drilling?
      I also understand it affects ground table water in sucgh a way that you can ignite it.

** Not saying that Blackpool being flattened by an earthquake is a bad thing.
      Just saying like.

where there's chaos, there's cash !

I could agree with you, but then we would both be wrong!

Lowering the tone since 1963

Comment

Churchill, I told you to stop stamping your feet when you walk!
        And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
          So harmless that it causes minor earth quakes! Considering it was a small test drilling site. Can we assume that the effects will increase in magnitude with an increase in the scale of drilling?
          I also understand it affects ground table water in sucgh a way that you can ignite it.

** Not saying that Blackpool being flattened by an earthquake is a bad thing.
          That's just a benefit really, if your gas runs out, you can cook in the sink, bath or bog.

Comment

Originally posted by Mich the Tester View Post
            Churchill, I told you to stop stamping your feet when you walk!
            What was that again oh fleet-of-foot and lardy-of-arse?

Comment

Originally posted by PorkPie View Post
              Man made earthquakes - aren't we doing well?
              Originally posted by Arturo Bassick View Post
              So harmless that it causes minor earth quakes!
              Natural earthquakes have always affected that area of lancashire, as well as other parts of the country. The UK surprisingly has more tornadoes p/sqm than the US, constant tremors and in some areas like anglesey, you can see the rock formations of faults and plates colliding resulting in many different types of rock.

The thing is, since we dont have a large land mass, tornadoes dont have much time to build up in to super twisters. Quakes although very common, are felt less than on fault lines in other places globally.

So far, Ive felt/been awoken by two quakes this year. Only a couple of points on the richter scale, but I tend to sense them more than others I know.

Comment

Stuff it, we need that gas out of the ground. Shale gas has totally transformed the energy industry in the USA.
                Public Service Posting by the BBC - Bloggs Bulls**t Corp.
                Officially CUK certified - Thick as f**k.

Comment

Originally posted by Fred Bloggs View Post
                  Stuff it, we need that gas out of the ground. Shale gas has totally transformed the energy industry in the USA.
                  True - which is why we'll end up with a load of windmills instead.

Comment

Originally posted by rsingh View Post
                    True - which is why we'll end up with a load of windmills instead.
                    The energy to make windmills doesn't come out of thin air you know.

Comment

Working...
                    X