• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Word of the Day

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word of the Day

Solipsistic

Adjective[sol-ip-sis-tik]

Of or characterised by solipsism - the idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist.
    In its extreme, the individual believes that nothing is real outside of the personal self.

A popular concept in modern philosophy since a belief is widely held that all certain knowledge may go no further than "I think; therefore I exist"

"left to myself I have to grasp the rough stonework of a wall to reassure myself of its reality" ... William Wordsworth.

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
    Solipsistic

Adjective[sol-ip-sis-tik]

Of or characterised by solipsism - the idea that only one's own mind is sure to exist.
    In its extreme, the individual believes that nothing is real outside of the personal self.

A popular concept in modern philosophy since a belief is widely held that all certain knowledge may go no further than "I think; therefore I exist"

"left to myself I have to grasp the rough stonework of a wall to reassure myself of its reality" ... William Wordsworth.
    Are you off the meds again?
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Hubris

Adjective[hyoo-bris]

excessive pride or self-confidence; arrogance.

c/f braggadocio - vain, empty bragging.

Something that personifies both of these words is the moment that Tony Blair, upon descending the steps of his return flight from his much celebrated address to congress,
      just about manages to restrain himself from punching the air.

The arms go up and he makes a fist with each hand but he pulls himself back at the brink.

Now, that would have been pure braggadocio.

Comment

tosser [ˈtɒsə]
        n Brit slang a stupid or despicable person
        A pacharan
        [probably from toss off (to masturbate)]
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Why hasnt Churchill retired this water mitty sockie yet ?
          Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
            Why hasnt Churchill retired this water mitty sockie yet ?
            Not my work, I was thinking it was RC.

Comment

Lothario

Noun[loh-thair-ee-oh]

A man who obsessively seduces and deceives women.

The name's connotations with an amoral seducer of women probably spring from the story of "The impertinent Curiosity" in Cervantes' epic "Don Quixote" (1607) in which a man named Anselmo coerces Lothario, his faithful friend, to test the virtue of his wife, Camila. Though Lothario sincerely attempts dissuading Anselmo from testing his wife's fidelity, the friend insists, and Lothario eventually falls in love with Camila.

The Fair Penitent (1703), by Nicholas Rowe also has a character called Lothario who seduces and betrays Calista.

Edit: Considering the number of wenches I've had beam end up on the bonnet of my Landy, one can't help but consider yours truly as a bit of a lothario as it happens.
              Last edited by pacharan; 4 November 2011, 12:26.

Comment

Originally posted by pacharan View Post
                Edit: Considering the number of ewes I've had beam end up on the bonnet of my Landy, one can't help but consider yours truly as a bit of a lothario as it happens.
                FTFY
                “The period of the disintegration of the European Union has begun. And the first vessel to have departed is Britain”

Comment

its usually not a good idea to spend your entire giro on southern comfort and cannabis and then come on here.
                  McCoy: "Medical men are trained in logic."
                  Spock: "Trained? Judging from you, I would have guessed it was trial and error."

Comment

Working...
                  X