• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Greek default in the next two weeks?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Greek default in the next two weeks?

Originally posted by Auntie Beeb
    Greece's next 8bn tranche of bailout money was approved last week by eurozone leaders, but only for payment in mid-November.

However, the Reuters news agency reported a source on the board of the International Monetary Fund as saying that the payment will be postponed until after the referendum - something that is not expected until January.

The Greek government has previously stated that it would run out of cash before then to fund its spending - which would include payments on its debts.
    It looks like this referendum could be somewhat moot.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Originally posted by doodab View Post
    It looks like this referendum could be somewhat moot.
    Not sure how long it is until they run out of money. When was the previous bailout, you know the one before the last one. If we could work out the mean time between bailouts, and then add that on to the last bailout date we could possibly answer your question.
    Knock first as I might be balancing my chakras.

Comment

Oh well, tulip happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
        Oh well, tulip happens.
        tulip is right mate. And the fans are turned on and running at full chat.

The big question is who gets splattered. If Greece's exit from the euro is as messy as I think it will be they will take Italy and Portugal with them (in the long run).

Cue the age of the banking collapse, credit crunch 2 and potentially fairly ugly scenes on OUR streets and it is not just another tulip happens moment. This is gonna hurt.

Comment

Originally posted by suityou01 View Post
          tulip is right mate. And the fans are turned on and running at full chat.

The big question is who gets splattered. If Greece's exit from the euro is as messy as I think it will be they will take Italy and Portugal with them (in the long run).

Cue the age of the banking collapse, credit crunch 2 and potentially fairly ugly scenes on OUR streets and it is not just another tulip happens moment. This is gonna hurt.
          Don't talk sh!te. It's a minor blip. Life will still go on. People still need to trade, eat, wear clothes, buy petrol, go to work, scholl etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Churchill View Post
            Don't talk sh!te. It's a minor blip. Life will still go on. People still need to trade, eat, wear clothes, buy petrol, go to work, scholl etc.

Comment

Not sure how long it is until they run out of money. When was the previous bailout, you know the one before the last one. If we could work out the mean time between bailouts, and then add that on to the last bailout date we could possibly answer your question.
              I believe they have €2bn due on the 11th, another €4bn in December and another €4bn in January.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Well work out how long it takes for you to run out of money buying cream cakes and then extrapolate for Greece.
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You can understand the Greeks protesting after all they are going to raise the retirement age to 65.They're also not going to replace civil servants who retire, and they will have to pay a bit more tax.

So basically they have a choice, either they accept this, which obviously isn't nice, or they end up still being able to retire at 61, keep their public sector jobs and receiving IOU's from the Government.
                  I'm alright Jack

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
                    Well work out how long it takes for you to run out of money buying cream cakes and then extrapolate for Greece.
                    How's the diet going btw? Still over 21st?

Comment

Working...
                    X