• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Leasehold Extension And Getting Neighbours Names And Addresses

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Leasehold Extension And Getting Neighbours Names And Addresses

We live in a block of flats where the freeholders are trying to charge us 7K per flat for service charges and improvement works even though the flat is only worth 100K

I was speaking to my partner last night and we want to get together with the other leaseholders and see whether they want to buy the freehold collectively.

The block has 50 flats inside it

My question is how I can find the names and addresses of all the leaseholders - Some of the flats are rented out so knocking on each door obviously is not going to work (and people might get rightly suspicious)

I have called Land Registry who have said that it costs £4 per title copy

Does anyone have a better idea of what can be done here?

Shouldn't there be a company run by all the owners that deals with communal issues and probably charges you all a fee to cover this and building insurace etc..

Shouldn't that have a pretty comprehensive list of all owners and contact details...

From experience of my block of flats and management company you have your work cut out getting enough people to be interested from 50!!!
    'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by DeludedAussie View Post
      We live in a block of flats where the freeholders are trying to charge us 7K per flat for service charges and improvement works even though the flat is only worth 100K

I was speaking to my partner last night and we want to get together with the other leaseholders and see whether they want to buy the freehold collectively.

My question is how I can find the names and addresses of all the leaseholders - Some of the flats are rented out so knocking on each door obviously is not going to work (and people might get rightly suspicious)

Move to a freehold property ?
      When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Knock on doors and ask.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Did I make a mistake trying to give sensible answer?
          'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

You have to spend money at the LR to do it.

The Management Company are obliged by law to give you the other leaseholders details but they will probably refuse.

It will be an uphill struggle to get anywhere because most people are apathetic.

Anyway, you will need all the leaseholders details and the free holders details.

You maybe able to sack the management company in any event.

You can contest the management charges, do this in writing immediately.

You can get the costs assessed by the LVT.

Lookup and read the LVT website.
            "A people that elect corrupt politicians, imposters, thieves and traitors are not victims, but accomplices," George Orwell

Comment

Originally posted by Paddy View Post
              You can get the costs assessed by the LVT.

Lookup and read the LVT website.
              WHS. Also look into the right to manage and right of enfranchisement (i.e. the right to buy the freehold). Getting 25/26 people together to buy the freehold could be difficult. The main reason people are interested in this is to save money on lease extensions. You can get all of the other benefits for less by taking over the management which is cheaper and easier.

You should also get a copy of the accounts to figure out where the money is going. 7k x 50 is £350k which seems like a lot of money for running costs but it could be they have some major work planned (in which case they should have consulted with tenants beforehand) and if it's necessary maintenance then buying the freehold won't make it go away, it will just make it harder to get it done.
              While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Have a look at the LEASE website, which has some good info.

We took our management agency to tribunal in the last place and won.

This house is leasehold, but no-one knows who to pay any more, so the rent hasn't been paid for decades now.
                Best Forum Advisor 2014
                Work in the public sector? You can read my FAQ here
                Click here to get 15% off your first year's IPSE membership

Comment

Surely you can only buy it if they offer it for sale, and if they're making money hand over fist from leaseholders, why would they sell?
                  The vegetarian option.

Comment

Why do you think the leaseholder will sell the lease if its easy money for him to just charge whatever comes to his mind in the guise of maintenance or whatever.

Move to a freehold property, leasehold flats are the biggest scams going on.
                    Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Working...
                    X