• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Interesting 'recruitment' process

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting 'recruitment' process

Hi

First time poster, long time lurker.

I am a contract tester currently looking for a new gig. To this end I was put forward for a role but instead of the more traditional interview there was a practical assessment.

Now I have heard these are becoming more common (admittedly more so for developers) but I found it a bit unusual I had to bring my own laptop. Upon arrival me and three others were put in a room and given instructions to test the live version (as in version on the public website) of their product and write a report for them.

As soon as we finished we had to find someone to let us out and have a (literally) two minute chat about what we had found. No attempt at an interview.

The agent (who is blameless in all this) rang me today to say that all seven people had been turned down for the contract. This suggests to me that their was no contract and they just wanted some free labour.

Now I am not writing this for sympathy or advice. I have already had an argument with the MD of the outfit via e-mail and the agent has severed all ties with them (plus I have something else lined up).

I purely put this up as a warning that if you are invited to a apply for a 'contract' for a start up company by some very tall buildings by a river in London, I urge caution!

Hi and welsome!

Sorry to hear you got messed about - it happens from time to time.

Originally posted by SussexSeagull View Post
    the agent has severed all ties with them
    I'll bet you they will be straight back in there if they think they can make a buck.
    Free advice and opinions - refunds are available if you are not 100% satisfied.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderer View Post
      Hi and welsome!

Sorry to hear you got messed about - it happens from time to time.

I'll bet you they will be straight back in there if they think they can make a buck.
      Some you win, some you lose. Thought I would spread the word though.

Comment

Name and shame

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
          Name and shame
          WHS..

Comment

Originally posted by Antman View Post
            Name and shame
            Can't really see what the point naming and shaming is. We have had a couple of instances recently of people naming and shaming on here and getting their asses hand back to them on a plate. V funny indeed.

If they do name them are you really going to turn down an interview from them? The OP is only guessing and I don't think Admin will be too happy with slanderous allegations on the site.

Put it down to experience and move on.
            'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Could it be that you did not really have the skills needed to test thier app ?
              Vote Corbyn ! Save this country !

Comment

Originally posted by northernladuk View Post
                Can't really see what the point naming and shaming is. We have had a couple of instances recently of people naming and shaming on here and getting their asses hand back to them on a plate. V funny indeed.

If they do name them are you really going to turn down an interview from them? The OP is only guessing and I don't think Admin will be too happy with slanderous allegations on the site.

Put it down to experience and move on.
                NLUK. Can you name anything that you would actually recommend doing something about or should everyhing just be out down to experience and moved on from ???

You would make a really crap newspaper agony aunt

Dear NLUK,

I have been seeing my boyfriend for four years and everything has been great until last night when he cam home drink and took an enormous great tulip on the birthday cake i'd been baking for him. Should I bake him another one ?

Dear Reader,

A real girlfriend wouldn't waste her time worrying about this. She's just move on to the next cake and put this down to experience.
                When freedom comes along, don't PISH in the water supply.....

Comment

Originally posted by TestMangler View Post
                  NLUK. Can you name anything that you would actually recommend doing something about or should everyhing just be out down to experience and moved on from ???
                  You accuse me of offering up a search or point out the beginner guides, being rude and unhelpful to new posters and now giving the same crap advice. I can't do all three all the time. Make your bleedin mind up!!!!

Dear NLUK,

I have been seeing my boyfriend for four years and everything has been great until last night when he cam home drink and took an enormous great tulip on the birthday cake i'd been baking for him. Should I bake him another one ?

Dear Reader,

A real girlfriend wouldn't waste her time worrying about this. She's just move on to the next cake and put this down to experience.
                  See, thats just rubbish I would never say that...

Get a new boyfriend. Plenty of them around tulip happens, this time on your cake. Move on and put it down to experience.

Simples.

Pwnd you!!
                  'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by fullyautomatix View Post
                    Could it be that you did not really have the skills needed to test thier app ?
                    If it was just me then that would sound entirely reasonable but seven people were turned down and the thing didn't smell right from the moment I walked in.

As has been said, none of this would stand up in a court of law but I am making people aware so they can be a bit more informed if it happens to them.

Onwards and upwards though.

Comment

Working...
                    X