• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Amazon.com cock up

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Amazon.com cock up

A bit of a long one - Earlier this year I bought my mum a Kindle and had it dispatched to Ireland where she lives. Today I called her and she told me that it has died and Amazon were messing her about with a warranty replacement. She was told that what Amazon wanted was for her to embark on a 300 mile round trip to dispatch the kindle to them, and pay for a brand new one, complete with import duties and delivery charges, but they would refund this upon receipt of the broken one! I guess if it got lost in the post then that would be our problem! To me that didn't sound fair, but then the penny dropped. On Monday I got a call from my bank and they were checking the authenticity of some transactions, triggered by an order from Amazon that had incorrect payment details. It seems that they had raised and order and billed me for the replacement replacement even though I have not ever given them any authorisation to do so. Luckily I don't buy much from Amazon, meaning the card they had on file had expired as otherwise I wouldn't have known anything until the money went from my account.

Suerly this is not legal!!
    Rule Number 1 - Assuming that you have a valid contract in place always try to get your poo onto your timesheet, provided that the timesheet is valid for your current contract and covers the period of time that you are billing for.

I preferred version 1!

Originally posted by TonyEnglish View Post
    A bit of a long one - Earlier this year I bought my mum a Kindle and had it dispatched to Ireland where she lives. Today I called her and she told me that it has died and Amazon were messing her about with a warranty replacement. She was told that what Amazon wanted was for her to embark on a 300 mile round trip to dispatch the kindle to them, and pay for a brand new one, complete with import duties and delivery charges, but they would refund this upon receipt of the broken one! I guess if it got lost in the post then that would be our problem! To me that didn't sound fair, but then the penny dropped. On Monday I got a call from my bank and they were checking the authenticity of some transactions, triggered by an order from Amazon that had incorrect payment details. It seems that they had raised and order and billed me for the replacement replacement even though I have not ever given them any authorisation to do so. Luckily I don't buy much from Amazon, meaning the card they had on file had expired as otherwise I wouldn't have known anything until the money went from my account.

Suerly this is not legal!!
    Hmmm, let me think...

Given that Amazon probably pay a million gazillion dollars per year for legal representation and you're not a qualified solicitor, on balance I'd say Amazon are probably well within there "Ts & Cs", you have read them, right?

Comment

The second broken Kindle I've heard of this week. Do they have a reliability problem? Got one on my Christmas list.

Comment

Originally posted by k2p2 View Post
        The second broken Kindle I've heard of this week. Do they have a reliability problem? Got one on my Christmas list.
        Are they any cop then these Kindles? Isn't a book better.
        What happens in General, stays in General.
        You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Originally posted by MarillionFan View Post
          Are they any cop then these Kindles? Isn't a book better.
          I was of the same opinion. But everyone who has (an unbroken) one has nothing but good to say about them.

Comment

I was of the same opinion. But everyone who has (an unbroken) one has nothing but good to say about them.
            Everybody I know who bought a Kindle played with it for a week then didn't look at it again. But they all say it's brilliant.
            Me, me, me...

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
              Everybody I know who bought a Kindle played with it for a week then didn't look at it again. But they all say it's brilliant.
              So it's a bit like a subscription to Big Jugs monthly. Thx. Got it.
              What happens in General, stays in General.
              You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

I liked mine but decided that I wanted an Android tablet instead. Sold the Kindle on ebay for about £10 less than I paid for it.

What I do like about having a kindle account is I can have access to all my purchased books via a PC, phone, tablet, kindle. I just need to log in and download my library.

The display on a Kindle is fantastic, very easy on the eyes.

Comment

Yes, I think if you're going to use it to read books for long periods, the display is where it has the advantage over a tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by Cliphead View Post
                    Are they people who read books anyway? I don't imagine it would turn a non-reader into a reader.

Comment

Working...
                    X