• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Say Hello to the new guy! Loads of questions :)

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Say Hello to the new guy! Loads of questions :)

Hi all!
    First off, a short introduction. Since the wages are crap and finding a job is difficult in Sweden I decided to relocate to the UK after being offered a six month contract (my first contract ever) as a bi-lingual helpdesk analyst at a large company. I'm 23 and I'd like a career as an IT contractor. As mentioned before this is my first contact with the world of contracting so any advice you guys have of common mistakes one would easily do, would be nice.

My umbrella is Giant (read some nasty stuff about them here just before I registered with this forum) and looks like the amount I'll see in my account would differ a lot from the figures in the estimate they gave me at first.

My rate is £11 (think thats the lowest i've seen here ) I'm working 37,5 h/week.

And could someone please explain all the mumbo jumbo about Giant?
    They're paying me the national minimum wage of £5.05, does that mean I'll only have to pay tax on £5.05? Which means I'll have another £5.95/hour tax and NI free? Of the 700£ invoice only 478 made it to my bank.:/

I claim £9.5/day subsistence, can I claim the higher subsistence? It says no receipts required and since I'm away from home 10+ hours I believe I'm eligible to claim?

How did you career look like when you were in my age and what does it look like now? How's your career progression been?

Thanks!

F ucking hell ! How much are rates in Sweden if you moved here to get more?
    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Originally posted by Visse
      I claim £9.5/day subsistence, can I claim the higher subsistence? It says no receipts required and since I'm away from home 10+ hours I believe I'm eligible to claim?
      I'll quickly pull you up on this one. Yes, Giant don't have to see the receipts, but the tax man does. So don't claim for anything you don't have receipts for or you could be in for a nasty surprise.
      Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Well, a friend of mine who has a similar job to mine at a the swedish equivalent to BT makes about 7-8£, and thats before 33% of tax.
        Horrible, isnt it/

Comment

like a lamb to the slaughter...

*janey sits back and waits for the entertainment to start*
          "Well behaved women rarely make history"

Comment

23, I went from being a customer service adviser to a process analyst/developer in one of the then 4 mobile networks.

From there got somehow dropped in at the deep end as a project manager (even though I knew nothing then about project management)

dropped in it as a BA

BA title changed into a Solutions Designer.

29, left the telco and started contracting (2 years ago now)

Comment

As my mother tongue is swedish I haven't learned all the abbreviations yet so please refrain from using too many of them

Comment

BA = Business Analyst
                Listen to my last album on Spotify

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy Bob
                  BA = Business Analyst
                  Or in Janey's case BA=Big Arse...

Comment

BA = Beautiful Angel

PS Any chance of a shag, Janey?

or "Bisexual Aphrodite"
                    We must strike at the lies that have spread like disease through our minds

Comment

Working...
                    X