• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Welcome to Belgium, hello and goodbye...

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Welcome to Belgium, hello and goodbye...

For those of you who obviously can't read Dutch the above can be summed up as the following "You have 15 days to leave the country".

Wonderful!!!

Perhaps a few might remember that some time ago I asked the question about having to provide a copy of a degree/diploma to show I'm qualified to be self-employed since I didn't have one any more.

Well, more than a year after having provided a copy, said powers and incompetents having not yet got round to deciding if it's good enough, have decided that I'm here "illegally" and have to leave.

I'm beginning to think, as someone else said, that I was stupid to even let them know I was living here in the first place.

Originally posted by Joe Black
    Perhaps a few might remember that some time ago I asked the question about having to provide a copy of a degree/diploma to show I'm qualified to be self-employed since I didn't have one any more.
    There is a law there that requires having a degree in order to work on your own? Surely this contravenes EU laws, unless the profession you want to do is in list of regulated ones, ie like lawyers, etc.

Comment

Well, more than a year after having provided a copy, said powers and incompetents having not yet got round to deciding if it's good enough, have decided that I'm here "illegally" and have to leave.
      Sorry to hear that. I have had a few problems with the dutch bureacrats too as they demanded an english version of my birth certificate. However, in my town district office they couldn't provide that. What could I have done? I even bothered to go back to get one. At the end I have decided to ignore them, and it proved that it was the best option.
      I've seen much of the rest of the world. It is brutal and cruel and dark, Rome is the light.

Comment

For those of you who obviously can't read Dutch the above can be summed up as the following "You have 15 days to leave the country".

Wonderful!!!

I'm beginning to think, as someone else said, that I was stupid to even let them know I was living here in the first place.
        Best advice I can give is

One Ignore them
        Two Sue them for breach of EU Labour regulations
        Three Tell them youve left then just come back and keep the head down this time
        Last edited by AlfredJPruffock; 26 April 2006, 13:36.

Comment

Maybe its cos u is (Joe) Black !

Comment

All of which proves what a pile of utter wank the EU is. Free movement my arse. Get your Euro MEP to sue the bollocks off them.
            His heart is in the right place - shame we can't say the same about his brain...

Comment

Take your notice, go down to the commune and go through the hoops of leaving. Make sure you have a ticket to show them.
              Then just carry on working and dont pay any tax.
              You may want to move.

Obviously you run the risk of legal proceedings, but life has to have some excitement.
              I am not qualified to give the above advice!

The original point and click interface by
              Smith and Wesson.

Step back, have a think and adjust my own own attitude from time to time

Comment

Come back here as an asylum seeker, murder and rape, get let out, get a free house, choose life, choose not to choose life, etc

Comment

Originally posted by AtW
                  There is a law there that requires having a degree in order to work on your own? Surely this contravenes EU laws, unless the profession you want to do is in list of regulated ones, ie like lawyers, etc.
                  Indeed there is.

To be registered as self-employed you have to show that either you completed some form of higher education, i.e. university, technical college etc, or you have completed a course in 'business managment' here.

Two problems a) the courses are invariably in French or Dutch, and b) while just about any Belgium Degree/Diploma is recognised - yep you can set up as an IT consultant having a degree in Greek mythology - anything from any other country depends on some bureaucrat's approval...or, for some strange reason, if you've worked as a fisherman/farmer for x years this is also good.
                  Last edited by Joe Black; 26 April 2006, 13:41.

Comment

hmm looks like a lawyer might be useful. They can't throw you out but they might be able to prevent from being self-employed. Unclear, I'm afraid. It would have been better to do this under foreigner short-term thingmy bob rule.
                    Last edited by BlasterBates; 26 April 2006, 13:59.
                    I'm alright Jack

Comment

Working...
                    X