• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

ok, thats me!

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ok, thats me!

Hi, what's the least expensive way to shut my ltd company down?

This year I've had a 6 monther (which fair enough got me out of a large divorce dept), followed by 3 months of trying (although I did have a weeks work last month).

But I'm suffering now, I've been living on my VAT money and don't think I can get Jobseakers allowance, also my fake payslips (from my business account) are upsetting my housing benefit claim, but worst of all I'm paying 90pm to a large accountants company regardless.

I believe if a contract came up, and I didn't have my own ltd company, the agency would be able to 'help me out'. And whilst 'resting' atleast I wouldn't be loosing money.

richard101
    Last edited by richard101; 6 November 2011, 07:19.

Start by talking to the accountants you have already paid for.

You will need to settle your VAT & corporation tax as well so you might be in trouble if you have started spending that.
    While you're waiting, read the free novel we sent you. It's a Spanish story about a guy named 'Manual.'

Comment

Have you thought about faking a break in and doing an insurance job. That can be a source of extra income?

Or you could brake really hard in traffic so someone shunts you, that way you can sue for whiplash and get sickness benefit.

Sorted.
      What happens in General, stays in General.
      You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

You don't have to take salary. Speak to your accountant. You should be able to stop taking money out, and claim whatever benefits you're entitled to.

Hope things pick up for you soon.

Comment

If only contracting sporadically then going via an umbrella may be easier.

As for closing a ltd. Last time I did it I just paid off the VAT, ran down the money in the company account (taking it out as salary), then filled in a form to have it struck off Companies House. The outstanding corp tax bill was written off unpaid as the company was technically insolvent by then.

Never had a peep out of HMRC saying that method was naughty, and as there are many companies closed then re-opened under a different name (i.e. phoenix companies) then this method seems to be acceptable anyway.
          Feist - 1234. One camera, one take, no editing. Superb. How they did it
          Feist - I Feel It All
          Feist - The Bad In Each Other (Later With Jools Holland)

Comment

I'm moving this to the Accounting/Legal as you may get less 'creative' responses than MF's.
            "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
            - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

On reflection, 'fake payslips' and spending the VAT money?

I do hope the OP isn't a Troll, I will be annoyed if he is...
              "I can put any old tat in my sig, put quotes around it and attribute to someone of whom I've heard, to make it sound true."
              - Voltaire/Benjamin Franklin/Anne Frank...

Comment

Originally posted by cojak View Post
                On reflection, 'fake payslips' and spending the VAT money?

I do hope the OP isn't a Troll, I will be annoyed if he is...
                What happens in General, stays in General.
                You know what they say about assumptions!

Comment

Working...
                X