• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Mongolia

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mongolia

Has anyone here ever been to Mongolia?

I am thinking about going there next year with the missus, just wondering if it's a goer

(\__/)
    (>'.'<)
    ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Originally posted by EternalOptimist View Post

I am thinking about going there next year with the missus, just wondering if it's a goer
    It's the biggest country in the world without a coastline. You could marvel at that fact as you walk round the edge.

Comment

You can take the Trans Siberian Express from Moscow to Ulan Bator

Comment

Originally posted by gricerboy View Post
        You can take the Trans Siberian Express from Moscow to Ulan Bator
        Aye.
        I've worked out that it's driveable from Moscow to UlanBator, but I need to know how easy it is to get around i.e. getting petrol, food, accomodation
        will it be feasible ?
        Would it be possible to get in and out in a day
        whats the border crossing like ?
        many English speakers ?

etc

(\__/)
        (>'.'<)

Comment

Didn't Charlie whatshisface and Obi Wan Kenobi do it on motorbikes as part of their 'long way round' trip? IIRC it wasn't exactly an easy ride.
          Science isn't about why, it's about why not. You ask: why is so much of our science dangerous? I say: why not marry safe science if you love it so much. In fact, why not invent a special safety door that won't hit you in the butt on the way out, because you are fired. - Cave Johnson

Comment

I've been on the Trans Siberian 'Express', if you can call 40mph 'express'....

It was well boring after the first 40 minutes after we cleared Moscow. And go Business class, not 'plaskartniy', or you will be sleeping on shelf in carriage with 56 other people...

And never drive in Russia! There's no road tax in Russia, so the roads are well rank, puddle or huge pothole? Who knows till it's too late!

My mate went on it to Mongolia, they changed the train bogies on the border....

Comment

Originally posted by stek View Post
              I've been on the Trans Siberian 'Express', if you can call 40mph 'express'....

It was well boring after the first 40 minutes after we cleared Moscow. And go Business class, not 'plaskartniy', or you will be sleeping on shelf in carriage with 56 other people...

And never drive in Russia! There's no road tax in Russia, so the roads are well rank, puddle or huge pothole? Who knows till it's too late!

My mate went on it to Mongolia, they changed the train bogies on the border....
              Cheers Stek,
              when were you there ? and where did you end up ?
              (\__/)
              (>'.'<)

Comment

Aye.
                I've worked out that it's driveable from Moscow to UlanBator, but I need to know how easy it is to get around i.e. getting petrol, food, accommodation

Flat mate upstairs did the TSE. Bring lots of dry food with you she said, hot water on tap. The food obviously varies the further east you travel.

Now don't fill your suitcase with pot noodles.
                "Never argue with stupid people, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience". Mark Twain

Comment

Cheers Stek,
                  when were you there ? and where did you end up ?
                  Twas October 2003, I was intending to go the whole nine days to Vladivostok, but got off in the Urals due to:

1. Meeting someone who eventually became the current mrs stek, or should I say the current unmarried partner of stek, before all the mail order bride stuff starts! And...

2. ...sheer boredom. Was then gonna fly back to Moscow and I did, but not before hanging around 'na Uralye' for a while.

Having said that, the state of the Russian internal flights planes, take the train, take the train!!

Comment

Isn't Mongolia now called Downs Syndrome-olia?

Comment

Working...
                    X