• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

New work - Drive or Take train

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New work - Drive or Take train

Hi Guys,

I would soon start contracting at East Croydon, I live in Reading. Google maps suggests M4 47.4 miles 1 hour 19 mins or M25 56.5 miles 1 hour 20 mins, If choose to drive. By train it takes 1 hour 28 to 36 mintues, excluding 10 min walk at both end.

I am a new driver, started driving this Januray. I am scared of morning and evening congestion. However, I do drive for about 21 miles one way for work weekdays.

Would you suggest me to drive or take train for new work? You advice please!

Thanks,
    Reading Lad

Originally posted by rdglad View Post
    Hi Guys,

I would soon start contracting at East Croydon, I live in Reading. Google maps suggests M4 47.4 miles 1 hour 19 mins or M25 56.5 miles 1 hour 20 mins, If choose to drive. By train it takes 1 hour 28 to 36 mintues, excluding 10 min walk at both end.

I am a new driver, started driving this Januray. I am scared of morning and evening congestion. However, I do drive for about 21 miles one way for work weekdays.

Would you suggest me to drive or take train for new work? You advice please!

Thanks,
    Reading Lad
    Train

Comment

WHS
      Originally posted by MaryPoppins
      I'd still not breastfeed a nazi
      Originally posted by vetran
      Urine is quite nourishing

Comment

Train. You can power nap in the morning.

It means you can have a beer after work if you fancy one too.

Driving will turn you into an evil bastard on that route.

Comment

Use your contracting income to buy a place in East Croydon, and live there. It's a sh1thole so you could probably pick up a flat at a reasonable price.

When you're contract terminates, put the flat up for rent. Hopefully you'll have substantial equity in it by then, assuming you're any good at contracting.

Rinse, repeat.

Comment

The problem with the train is always the little bit at the beginning, and the little bit at the end

if they are doable, then its train all the way
            (\__/)
            (>'.'<)
            ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by rdglad View Post
              Are you only 17 or just acquired a UK driving licence?
              How fortunate for governments that the people they administer don't think

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                No he's just moved here and is sharing a 3 bed house with 14 other people.

Comment

Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post

rdglad , what does 'fire away' mean
                  (\__/)
                  (>'.'<)
                  ("")("") Born to Drink. Forced to Work

Comment

Originally posted by Troll View Post
                    Originally posted by ChimpMaster View Post
                    And what exactly is wrong with an "ad hominem" argument? Dodgy Agent, 16-5-2014

Comment

Working...
                    X