• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

PAYE & NI Question

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PAYE & NI Question

I formed my limited company at the end of September this year.
    I have not started payroll yet. I have planned to start paying myself and my secretary a salary beginning on 1st December 2011.

I asked my accountant if I could pay my secretary for the work she did in October as well as November i.e. 2 months pay paid in December.

My accountant says "3 months salary can be paid in Dec , but she will be liable for PAYE/Ni on amount paid, as it will be over monthly threshold."

My question is - can my wife claim this extra PAYE and NI back from HMRC at the end of the tax year?

Originally posted by knight007 View Post
    My question is - can my wife claim this extra PAYE and NI back from HMRC at the end of the tax year?
    Once NI is paid to your company secretary its gone. Depending on the level of salary, and any prior earnings, any PAYE paid in December can effectively be paid back again in subsequent months.

Have you considered making your wife a Director? The different rules for Directors regarding NI would possibly mean she would avoid paying any NI in December (again, depending on how much salary you intend to pay).
    2012 CUK Reader Awards - '...Capital City Accountancy, all of whom were outside the top three yet still won compliments from CUK readers for their services' - well, its not an award, but we'll take it! - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    2011 CUK Reader Awards - Top 3 - Best Accountant (for IT contractors) category
    || Check us out at: http://www.linkedin.com/company/capi...ccountancy-ltd

Comment

Just out of interest how much are you paying your wife? Is she honestly, and I mean honestly, doing enough to justify this? Answering phones and doing your booking does not justify 5K+ a year. If she isn't you are looking for trouble.
      'CUK forum personality of 2011 - Winner - Yes really!!!!

Comment

i am paying her £3150 per year.

Comment

Working...
        X