• Visitors can check out the Forum FAQ by clicking this link. You have to register before you can post: click the REGISTER link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. View our Forum Privacy Policy.
  • Want to receive the latest contracting news and advice straight to your inbox? Sign up to the ContractorUK newsletter here. Every sign up will also be entered into a draw to WIN £100 Amazon vouchers!

Is Nuclear Fusion viable?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is Nuclear Fusion viable?

newsvote.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/sci/tech/4627237.stm

Discuss !

However, I have heard that threaded created his own fusion reactor in his shed years ago using a magnet, a bucket of water and some string.

The computer sez no!

Comment

I think that's what this project was intending to find out?

My gut feel is 'yes' (mainly because they have them on Star Trek), but we won't know until this reactor is built to try out the various techniques. It isn't intended to be a commercial plant, which I think some dude said on the radio yesterday could be expected about 2050-ish if this pilot establishes a successful technique.

Comment

mainly because they have them on Star Trek
        I like your reasoning, Lucifer!

Comment

Some green groups criticised Tuesday's announcement as a waste of money. They are doubtful whether Iter will ever deliver practical technologies.
          If it was up to them we'd still be driving carts with square wheels and dragging our birds around by their hair.

Idiots. >: What the f *** do they know about nuclear fusion technology, compared to a group of the worlds top nuclear scientists?

Comment

If it was up to them we'd still be driving carts with square wheels and dragging our birds around by their hair.
            It'd make a change from them dragging us around by our bollox!

Spod - In "Not all change is good" mode!

Comment

Of course, highly politically astute greens would object on principle to the experiment as, if it succeeds, they are rendered fairly redundant overnight as we would then be able to produce pollution free energy from water.

Comment

Blessed is just about anyone with a vested interest in the status quo!!!

Spod.

Comment

One of my companies is building the super-conducting magnets for this and one of my students is leading the plasma dynamics reseach team.

threaded

Comment

What the f *** do they know about nuclear fusion technology, compared to a group of the worlds top nuclear scientists?
                    Aha. So if if the scientists are doing something the environmentalists oppose they must be right, they are "top" scientists. When scientists support environmental concerns, well what do they know? they can't even tell you if it will rain next week.

Comment

Working...
                    X